Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys i know I'm new here but i have a simply question. I was wanting to add some lucas treatment to my 2001 Power Stroke, but i can't seem to find where to add it at. I know this sounds stupid but it seems like adding it through the dip stick takes forever..............I am sure a few of you are laughing at me right now, but you never know until you ask and no one i know has any idea!! Thanks for the info and please excuse the ignorance!!

·
"mad cow" member
642 Posts
If its fuel treatment add it to the fuel tank via the same way you fill the tank with diesel, or you can fill the fuel filter bowl with it when you change the filter.

If its oil treatment pour it in the same place you'd add the engine oil. There is no benefit to be had by adding anything to the oil if you're using a decent diesel rated oil.
You couldn't pay me enough to put Lucas in my PSD engine oil, holy oil aeration batman.

Or you could put it in the transfer case transmission or differentials, but there is no point in doing so if you use a quality lubricant.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I made the mistake of running additives in my oil, don't do it. Drain it and the HPOP and run straight synthetic. It's easy, did mine in less than 5min @ $3.00 for a flavor injector small hose and ketchup bottle. Mine runs it's ass off now and starts on the first rev.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
There is no benefit to be had by adding anything to the oil if you're using a decent diesel rated oil.

You couldn't pay me enough to put Lucas in my PSD engine oil, holy oil aeration batman.
:whs:

I know some of the 6.0 guys have had good experience with Rev-X but I would be hesitant to run anything in the oil of a 7.3.

What are you trying to do? I think your money would be better spent on periodic oil analysis.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Who has proof that it foams? I've heard a lot of hearsay but no proof yet.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
wow that is horible

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have seen that but would it do the same thing if that container was full instead of just a small amount in the bottom? If all the gears were submerged in oil would it have any air in it? How much air do you think is in your lpop or hpop as we speak? probably none. I'm not convinced. The oil pickup is in the bottom of the pan, I wonder how much air is being picked up? I run Lucas in mine for the last 6+ yrs and have had no problems. Truck runs fantastic. Changed the oil once without it and consumption went up quite a bit. I'll continue to use it until someone proves without a doubt that it has ill effects.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
I have seen that but would it do the same thing if that container was full instead of just a small amount in the bottom? If all the gears were submerged in oil would it have any air in it? How much air do you think is in your lpop or hpop as we speak? probably none. I'm not convinced.
Most of your moving parts are not going to be submerged in oil.

Your tranny is not going to be completely full. Fluid flows through it not submerge it.

Same with your axles. How many people you know of that fill it completely to the top.

If it foams, it foams. Bottom line.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
What ill effects will I have? After 6+ yrs nothing. I'm not arguing, I want to be convinced. I don't have a problem changing but want to know why. That's all. Thanks.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
What ill effects will I have? After 6+ yrs nothing. I'm not arguing, I want to be convinced. I don't have a problem changing but want to know why. That's all. Thanks.
What other reason do you need than waste of money?

Absolutely no product in existence has ever been proven to prolong the life of any engine. Period.

The only proven results to keep an engine running a long time is regular maintenance.

Just because your engine is still running, doesn't mean it's because of Lucas additives.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Most of your moving parts are not going to be submerged in oil.

Your tranny is not going to be completely full. Fluid flows through it not submerge it.

Same with your axles. How many people you know of that fill it completely to the top.

If it foams, it foams. Bottom line.
I figured that out about the age of 15 or so. I'm talking about the eng oil sys. The pickup is low in the pan and the pumps remain full, correct? If the oil has air in it would it still be present at the pickup?

I

·
0 Posts
What other reason do you need than waste of money?

Absolutely no product in existence has ever been proven to prolong the life of any engine. Period.

The only proven results to keep an engine running a long time is regular maintenance.

Just because your engine is still running, doesn't mean it's because of Lucas additives.
:whs:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Without the lucas it uses about 2.5 qts between changes. With lucas it's on the full mark at the change interval. Not trying to pick a fight just want some solid legit proof that it's bad for the eng. If I get that I'll not use it any longer.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
I figured that out about the age of 15 or so. I'm talking about the eng oil sys. The pickup is low in the pan and the pumps remain full, correct? If the oil has air in it would it still be present at the pickup?
Frothing oil on top still mixes with the oil below, which is still drawn up through the oil pickup, which then heads to the HPOP, which then takes it to the injectors.

Aerated oil stays aerated for a period of time. The air bubbles become entrapped. They don't disappear immediately.

That oil test of Lucas shows how easily that stuff foams up. And yes, those air bubbles do get entrapped throughout the oil. Depending on the diesel oil you are using, the anti-foaming agents in the oil may or may not help reduce the foaming from the Lucas products. But I guarantee, the Lucas stuff isn't helping at all.

By the way, have you ever checked to see what's in Lucas? It's not exactly anything special.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts