Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i'm gonna be adding fog lights (factory) to my 99

i want to use a newer style factory headlight switch.

my question is, if i buy a new style switch and pig tail to go with it it, will i be all set to just run the wire to a relay for the fogs or does the wiring goes through like the gem or something first from the factory...?

or in other words will i have a wire coming off the pigtail to use as a signal for a fog relay?

hope that makes sense

thanks!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If I'm not mistaken with that switch the fogs go off when you go to high beam. I put them on my 99 and used a tiny push pull mounted under the tilt lever on the bottom and fired them with a relay. The switch is hidden and I can use them whenever. I had to trim the plastic for the bottom of the lights on the 99 bumper.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I pigtailed in a new style switch in my truck. The Yellow wire coming out of the back of the new switch is the one that sends signal out when you pull out for your fogs. If you want it to act excatly like factory you would maybe need to pull a wire from your multifunction switch that would cut power to your yellow wire when on high beam. Or at least that was the only way I could really think of to make it work. but i left mine where I could have them on with both beams. BTW the wires from a newer pigtail dont just color code in I tested each wire from both trucks and pinned it out that way. Ive got it wrote down somewhere if you would need it.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pigtailed in a new style switch in my truck. The Yellow wire coming out of the back of the new switch is the one that sends signal out when you pull out for your fogs. If you want it to act excatly like factory you would maybe need to pull a wire from your multifunction switch that would cut power to your yellow wire when on high beam. Or at least that was the only way I could really think of to make it work. but i left mine where I could have them on with both beams. BTW the wires from a newer pigtail dont just color code in I tested each wire from both trucks and pinned it out that way. Ive got it wrote down somewhere if you would need it.
perfect! i'd rather they didnt cut out anyways...if you could PM me or post up the wire info that would be great...no hurry, at your convenience

thanks!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Here is how I mounted the switch. Thats fires a 30 amp relay mounted on the core support that powers the lights. Hope this gives you a cheap alternative to replacing the fact switch which is expensive plus you can run then any time you want. Good luck. I have less that $15.00 into the switch, relay, and wiring.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I took mine out of a parts truck. If you do get it from napa it would need to be the same color coded wires as the ford one or the way I pinned it out wont do you much good. Ill send you the pin out I have tom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts