Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Got plenty of issues
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct spot since it is not driectly related to the 7.3 (I don't think),

But I have ice cold air in both vent settings as well as AC with the therm turned cold of course. Outside temp can be 85 degrees and still blows ice cold while on vent. What could cause this?

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
With the hood open on your truck I would have someone listen to see if they can here the clutch engage on the A/C compressor. If it is I am taking a guess here and thinking the 'mode' switch in your control panel may be shot. I would try to pick one up from a junk yard for cheap and check again.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
The ac will run in every position except vent. Just to clarify proper operation.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have this same issue. I wasn't sure if that was just the way it worked or what. I can get ac air with it just set in face or feet or both. When i switch from ac to vent there is no difference, it'll blow ice cold.

·
Got plenty of issues
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see Im not alone. I can hear the clutch engage while on vent only. Time to look for some parts I guess.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My switch has:
max ac
ac
face
off
face/floor
floor
floor/def
def

My ac works in all positions except the face. Shouldn't it only work in ac and max ac?

·
Got plenty of issues
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your compressor will also run in defrost. Should not run in the non AC position ( defrost the exception )

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'll have to check today if it runs in the floor position.
I got a little mixed up on my settings

face-ac does not run
face/floor-ac runs
floor-will check today
defrost-will check today
defrost/floor-will check today

·
Registered
328 Posts
sounds like the control in the dash is bad

and for it blowing cold in vent is becuase it never switched it over. if you can pull the knob off and try turning it with pliers and see if it will still do the same thing. If it does it going to be the control switch is bad

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Face is the only position ac is always off according to the service manual.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Really, so it runs in all other positions?
This is exactly what I experience. Kind of wierd that I have the option for AC and Max AC when it is already on in all positions but the 1. I'm guessing that the ac and max ac are a recirculate, while the other positions are an outside vent

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
It can run in all other positions.. Why they did that WHO KNOWS.....

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
That is your temp control in the winter. Also keeps the compressor in use through the winter months. One of the biggest reasons old compressors died, was they were never turned on in the winter. O-rings would dry up and leak.

·
Got plenty of issues
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so it sounds like mine is normal? If so thanks all. :ford: Guess I need to dust off the ol' manual from time to time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts