Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace the a clutch pully. I have the part (bought it because the bearing went bad, belt squealing) just trying to get as much info before tearing it down as I need to use it for work today. One the snap ring is out does the pully slide out? And the "stator" shroud... Does it really NEED to go back in? I hate that thing but live in az so I'm semi worried about removing it. Any help would be awesome guys thanks. And I know all the faults in just replacing the bearing pully assembly but I need to do this hella cheap because I took my sisters 18 month old daughter from her and daycare/ins are eating me alive! Thanks again.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
And the "stator" shroud... Does it really NEED to go back in?

I'm not sure what your calling a "stator shroud" but for your A/C clutch to work everything you take off needs to go back on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I'm used to the 7.3 so this things a lot diff for me. I was told the plastic apparatus between the can should and the engine is called a "stator shroud" guess that was false info?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your actually correct on that being called a stator. There was a discussion on whether or not that served a purpose or not and it was inconclusive. I took mine off because you couldn't work on anything in the front of the motor with it on. So far I haven't seen any temp. problems/issues that some were concerned about. Somebody mentioned a liability issue is the reason it is on there; not getting your hand in the fan blade. You can at least get to all the pulley's and the belt alot easier.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The stator is important on heavy trucks I have seen a couple with overheating issues with the stator missing.. Installed one problem solved.. Yes the pulley is very common replacement item. remove 2 upper radiator support brackets pull battery cable up. drail 1-2 gallons of coolant out remove 2 hoses from radiator remove 2 8mm bolts from shroud pull radiator against support simply lift shroud out" be careful with small nipple on radiator it is brittle". loosely reinstall bracket to hold radiator. remove the 4 or 5 on 2003my 15mm bolts from stator unplug fan clutch loosen fan clutch. remove fan and stator as assembly. Now simply remove belt remove 8mm bolt from clutch plate on compressor. watch for the little shim under the plate you will need this later. Remove snap ring use 2 jaw puller remove the pulley. "some will slide off but usually requires puller" check the magnet for melting any melted plastic compressor will need replaced if not, simply lube snout of compressor slide new pulley on. "may need to gently tap" reinstall snap ring nowreinstall clutch plate with shim reinstall 8mm bolt now use feeler gauge measure air gap between pulley and plate iirc it is .020 air gap adjust shim to adjust air gap" THIS GAP MUST BE SET CORRECTLY" once gap is set add dab of locktight to 8mm bolt tighten reassemble

1 - 5 of 5 Posts