Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting about 14mpg no matter if I was in town or on the highway. This last tank, I decided to try as hard as I could to drive with the intent to get the best milage I could. Takingoff from a stop, iI would accelerate very slowly, sometimes taking over a mile to get to 60. On the highway, I would try to keep it around 65 or so. Anything much over 70, and aerodynamics take over. I was absolutely amazed to see that after calculating that tank, I was getting 20.4mpg! That's a difference of about 200 miles per tank! Suffice it to say, Iwill ccontinue to drive like a little old lady.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's hand calculated. Yes, about 200 miles more per tank. A difference of 6mpg times 38 galons. It's actually closer to 230 more miles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Depending on how full you get the tank each time, some of that improvement may just be false. As said earlier, run a few tanks to get an actual average. I have a hard time doing a full tank of freeway, or a full tank of towing, or a full tank of city. I usually tow something with every tank so it throws off my average. The 7.3 powerstroke is an easy 12-15-20, tow-city-highway, engine.

·
1,097 Posts
On another forum dedicated to MPG, a Dodge Ram dude gets fabulous MPG, but he rarely drives more than 40 MPH.

He does appreciate the effect of what automotive engineers call the "road load equation." This equation calculates the HP a vehicle needs to maintain a given speed with various other factors involved. Weight, grade, tire, wheel bearing and drivetrain rolling resistance, etc. All that HP has to be made good by engine fuel burn.

With one exception, each factor's road load HP goes up proportionately with road speed.

That exception is aero drag which goes up with the cube of road speed.

It does not take an expert in differential calculus to tell you road load HP is minimum (zero) at V=0. to achieve this you've made what pilots call the "no-go decision."

But most of us have a truck to go somewhere. If a guy has the luxury of being able to drive around twenty under the limit, well good for him.

Myself I feel a MPG reached by driving slowly is a dishonest comparison. Very few people can get away with driving like granny.

On the other hand, if you drive as much as I do "driving it like you stole it" gets you tickets. The law of probabilities will catch up to you sooner or later.

So for MPG testing purposes there is only one rational and honest speed for comparison - the posted limit.

But if fuel cost is important to you and you have the time and patience to drive slow, by all means do so. It will increase your MPG, all else equal.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
As usual on this forum one of about 10 people on here decide to throw their opinion in, those same 10 people usually have NO useful contribution to the topic LOL

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
As usual on this forum one of about 10 people on here decide to throw their opinion in, those same 10 people usually have NO useful contribution to the topic LOL
:eek: :eek: :D :evil

·
Black n Tan
23 Posts
whats funny is that my wife, who is an actual Grandma, drives my truck like it's her 4 cylinder Accord and that sucks my MPG pretty quickly.
On the other hand i had a co-worker who claimed incredible MPG in his 5.4 Expedition (when i had the same rig) cause he never exceeded 55 mph.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yep love those guys to. These aren't fuel savers but when you can simply learn your vehicle and it's characteristics to save you money while you travel to the next job , it's worth it to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes driving style, gear ratio, and tire size do affect the mpg possible. Also altitude and road conditions play a major role. Where I live in Virginia I can get 25-28mpg highway keeping it @ 63 with 3.73 gears and 35"tires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Altering driving habits can definitely reap benefits ! Once I asjusted to a different mindset on long highway trips ( used to taking my Lightning or one of the Mustangs pretty much as fast as I want to go, and my DD 93 Vert gets [email protected] plus with the air on and 4.10s in the back ) the payoff was immediate and noticeable ! In town there was a small change for the better by not pushing it at 3/4 throttle to get moving, but on the highway by staying at 68mph whether with the a/c or without the Excursion is now getting into the 21 range with a recent best of 21.7 ! I get up to the speed limit as quickly as possible without going to full throttle and settle into a selected cruising speed as quickly as I can. I also do my best to avoid slowing down/speeding up to get around other traffic if I can help it. I run close to max tire pressure for standard size tires on my rig, and I always hand calculate mileage as my computer is actually pessimistic rather than optimistic :confused: Anyway, I actually enjoy driving it for mileage on the highway and having fun when I'm in around town mode only... If nothing else it gives me something to ponder a bit on long highway trips LOL !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts