Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2006 f250 6.0 4x4 with about 197k miles.

One day driving home from school, I realized my ABS light was on but didn't really worry about it at the time, I get on a highway going about 55 and it feels like my trans was slipping so I look down and my speedo was fluctuating about 5-15 mph while driving. I immediately pulled off and called my trans guy (I had just gotten a full trans rebuild less than a month ago) and asked him what was going on. He said to change my speed sensor, so I did. I changed the one on the rear diff. I get in my truck and drive 5 miles ish to test it out and see if it fixed anything and it didn't. Im just curious on what my next step is, I know there is another sensor on top of the trans right before the transfer case but I dont want to start throwing money away if I dont have too.

thank you

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
You need to run a self-test on the ABS module first and foremost to determine what code(s) are stored or present. In my personal experience, speedometers not working accompanied with the ABS light on usually have something to do with the ABS module itself missing B+ and/or B-. In other words, the ABS not powering up therefore rendering the speedometer inoperative.

Might also be the Rear Speed Sensor. Part # 6L3Z-9E731-A

ForScan Lite on a SmartPhone will pull codes from the ABS module.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Make sure that the VSS is seated completely on the housing.

My truck did the same thing and when I read the ABS codes it said that it was a bad VSS, I replaced it and had the same problem. I then sent the instrument cluster off to be checked and repaired, same results. Then I was going to test the wiring and I noticed that the VSS didn't look like it was all the way into the housing. I used a mallet to seat it and no problems since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts