Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 van with the 6.0 and just realized Bullydog makes a programmer for it. I'm fabbing a 4" exhaust to bolt on at the same time. My question is, with all the problems the 6.0 has, what should I do to ensure I don't blow my motor? I've got just over 150,000 miles on it and had the FICM replaced a few hundred miles ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
leave that bullydog at the store

·
Registered
772 Posts
Headstuds, egr delete, custom tuned sct. If you really want the sound get an intake and straight pipe it. Leave it at that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My question is, with all the problems the 6.0 has, what should I do to ensure I don't blow my motor?

First, I would be more concerned with the transmission if your thinking using a Bully Dog...
That is from my personal experience with Bully Dog Triple Dog, I have run the Bully Dog almost 50,000 miles on my truck and the shift to say the least sucks, I have been babying mine since rebuilding the trans till I upgrade to a custom tuned SCT....
As far as the engine goes I havn't had any problem except replacing the injectors due to stiction, No studs or egr delete yet.... still on original head gaskets and egr system with 148,000 miles on the clock

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, not fans of the BullyDog, huh? In addition to the power, I liked the various info it gave (EGT, OBD codes, trans temp, etc.) Who do you guys recommend for a tuned SCT?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow, not fans of the BullyDog, huh? In addition to the power, I liked the various info it gave (EGT, OBD codes, trans temp, etc.) Who do you guys recommend for a tuned SCT?
I don't belive there would be so many transmission problems with the bully dog if you were running the stock hight tire but I am running a true 37" tall tire. That by its self puts a hell of a lot more load on the transmission.....

The Bully Dog does have some neat stuff, like you say pre and aft turbo EGT at the same time and change on the fly power settings...

I'll make ya a hell of a deal on my Triple Dog Downloader, Outlook Monitor with Piller Pod and 2 EGT Probes if your still thinking of going that way...

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Welcome to the Nation...

Take the advice people give here. It gets expensive paying for your own mistakes. People on PSN know what they are talking about and are very experienced with the PSD. Hence the name "PowerStroke"Nation.

The best thing for you to do from here would utilize the search option. It seems that you may have a little bit of learning to do when it comes your truck.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
SCT custom Tuned by Eric at Innovative Diesel Performance and ive heard some good things about Matt from Gearhead. EGR delete, headstuds are another good thing, as well as a coolant filter kit, so you can keep your oil cooler unclogged. Oh and some analog gauges to monitor everything.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Like said get a SCT there are quite a few good tuners out there, delete the egr, and you will have a good running truck. You can also look into getting your FICM flashed it improves throttle response.

·
reluctant ford fan
127 Posts
IMHO the oil cooler is the root of all evil on the 6.doh, closely followed by the EGR cooler and of course the lame-arse head bolts. Aftermarket solutions exist for all of the above. YRMV.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts