Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 88, 7.3, naturally assless. Mated is a zf5. It is a Canadian model, but from all the research I’ve done,doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve been struggling with the clutch going on 2 summers now. The DMF has finally had enough as of 4 weeks ago. Last year, tried replacing with a LUK SMF set up, only to end up with a 600$ garage trophy. This time, contacted south bend, got in touch with the local dealer, he spec’d it out and I ended up with the HD clutch for it. Installed it twice so far, to only pull it twice. Shaved the cast mold that the pressure plate was hitting, reinstalled. Now the throwout bearing doesn’t seem to be putting enough pressure on the fingers(SAME AS THE LUK). Machined up a new pivot ball, 5/16” bigger to make up the difference in the measurement between the original DMF and the new SB set up. Looking for help before I torch this f** thing

·
Registered
714 Posts
Welcome! Check the linkages in the cab!!! There are a pair of plastic bearings that the clutch petal support shaft rides on (clutch shaft also supports brake shaft) and when they wear out you will no longer get the same amount of push on the clutch master cylinder. Second - on the master cylinder side of the clutch petal assembly there is another plastic bushing on the master cylinder push rod and when this goes you get the same effect as the shaft bushings. I have had this problem of both the Fords I have driven (87 and my 97). Ford didn't leave any room for wear in the system.

Cj

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Check the linkages in the cab!!! There are a pair of plastic bearings that the clutch petal support shaft rides on (clutch shaft also supports brake shaft) and when they wear out you will no longer get the same amount of push on the clutch master cylinder. Second - on the master cylinder side of the clutch petal assembly there is another plastic bushing on the master cylinder push rod and when this goes you get the same effect as the shaft bushings. I have had this problem of both the Fords I have driven (87 and my 97). Ford didn't leave any room for wear in the system.

Cj
Did a whole new slave and master. Did the Heim joint upgrade from diesel hub. Put a plate on the firewall last year to sturdy the master which I have found to be a common issue. A clutch should not be this hard. 🤬. I’m out of options. Tempering the new pivot ball I machined up to make up the 5/16” difference. If this doesn’t work, I’m at a loss

1 - 3 of 3 Posts