Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to my F-350, I also own a 1996 Impala SS.

Driven exactly the same (no fun flooring it) the Impala struggles to get to 21 MPG.

The car weighs slightly more than half what the (unloaded) F-350 weighs.

The car has a smaller frontal area and I suspect a lower coefficient of drag.

Both vehicles' tires are aired up rock hard and both are well-aligned.

But the F-350 gets 6-7 MPG better.

Does that speak volumes about the efficiency of the diesel and the manual transmission or what?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Diesel engines alone are ~30% more efficient. I've always believed in the ability for a manual trans to offer up better economy, but with today's technology, I'd think that most of that would be subjective to the driver's habits. Especially with the modern aftermarket TCs and tuning available.

IMO, modern gas engines suffer more because of all the extra emissions control junk that leach power away in order to compensate for inefficently burnt fuel. It would be great if they were more efficent, but then they would be diesels, right? :doh:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I would blame a combination of emmissions equipment and poor factory tuning. Try a catback and see if you don't pick up a few by cutting some of your pumping losses.
Edit: is it the supercharged version? If so, I don't know how you're getting that good of mileage...

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Impala has a Borla catback.

No supercharger, just factory MPI.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
look at his signature. he gets 27 mpg in the summer in his truck

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out the sig, dude.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Much of that advatage over gassers looked to be going away from what I have seen with the new direct injection systems. Higher power and greatly improved mpg. So it was down to the actual higher energy content of diesel fuel. Not to mention DPF is a mpg killer they do not have to deal with going forward. But then you take a look at what these new 6.7 Fords are getting and it looks like it turns it right back on its head. With over 28 mpg when driving with mpg as the goal with a 390 hp 745 tq 8000+ lbs vehicle. That with DPF. Impressive IMO.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Dave, kind of off topic, but, you mentioned sintered metalic pads swelling, what was your fix? different pads? shave-clean old pads?? also I assume you are lubing caliper slides on a regular basis? thanks.

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pull 'em off and take a grinder to the swelled edges.

Yes, I lube the calipers. I currently use the Carolina Clutch brakes.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
thanks sir

1 - 12 of 12 Posts