Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the 6.4 slowly started dying a year or so back. It's still driveable, but I can't tow with it. Head gasket has a leak, it over heats under any load and pukes coolant...the usual.

I really like the motor, but the complicated electronics, and ram jammed engine bay aren't appealing to me. I had quotes to fix the head gasket, along with studs and whatever else they recommended and the quotes were from $6500-$10000. And it still has the original bottom end, HPOP, and whatever else might want to fail next.

I picked up a 1993 International 5 ton with a DTA360 for $1500, pulled the motor and have tentatively sold the truck for around $1000.

I didn't want to use an auto that might fail next, or spend $5-7000 building a tranny, so I've decided to stay medium duty. I picked up an International reNEWed Spicer ESO66-7b 7 speed tranny for $1500.

Next step is to divorce the factory T-case, and make this big blue beast fit.

I might have a forestry job coming up in a few months....so this thing has to get done in a timely manner....not another dreamer project, it's my only work truck so it has to get back on the road ASAP. Probably going to run the motor stock for now to save time and cost, then worry about making 4-500hp later. ;)

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good luck..Make sure and take a lot of pictures along the way.. Looks like i will be after Christmas starting my swap over.. Cant wait to ditch the 6.0!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will for sure...I'd like to document everything complete with part numbers.

Not enough info on these swaps out there!

·
Registered
115 Posts
has anyone else used one of those trannies in a swap into a pickup? I would imagine itd be sweet for towing, subscribed

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
has anyone else used one of those trannies in a swap into a pickup? I would imagine itd be sweet for towing, subscribed
That Chansey guy used a Fuller FSO which is a very similar tranny in his dodge, if you look up FSO6406 on google, I think his threads have 90% of the hits...lol

I can't wait to tow with it. Towing with no worries....Good times! This particular tranny has a 50,000lb GVW rating at 660ft lbs of torque.

·
Justaworktruck
396 Posts
Nice truck, like the big tires what size are they? By the looks of your trailer it's a Double A or Oasis.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to see how hard it would be to make this motor run out of the truck so I know what I am up against...

Apparently a battery, a Jerry can of diesel, a jump start and one wire.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pink wire needed power to turn on the starter solenoid. ;) Nothing more.
Ok, thought you were gonna say it was to the pump.. Only seen a couple dt360's with 12v to the inj pump.. Most i have came across were mechanical. 466's, i have seen plenty key killed one's... man i cant wait to get my conversion done...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya this one is cable kill, the simplicity is amazing, I'm used to swapping fuel injected Toyota engines, where you have a wiring diagram spread out for 5' trying to find where the black wire with yellow stripe and 2 silver dots goes.... Lol

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got an oil analysis done at the finning lab, this old girl is in perfect shape as far as the oil can tell. I'm going to install it as is to keep the momentum going and run it stock for now.

I found another dt360 for $500 today, I will then get that one rebuilt, and prepped for more power and put it in later.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First project hiccup...the input shaft on the new transmission is quite a bit bigger than the original one. I thought I could put a DT466 flywheel on, but it has a different bolt pattern. Sooooo either find a 52mmx30mm bearing, or get the flywheel machined to fit a bearing that works. Not a big deal...

Pic shows a dt466 bearing above and the dt360 bearing below.

1 - 20 of 299 Posts