Discussion Starter #1
P1261 - #1 High to low side short
P1267 - #7 High to low side short
P1273 - #3 High to low side open
P1275 - #5 High to low side open
P1293 - Injector high side open bank 1
P1294 - Injector high side open bank 2

Retreived using AE.

Here is how I got to this point. No start, white smoke while cranking and a P1670 code that kept returning. ICP pressure 2400psi during crank but not sure if or how this is related. I did some research on here, found the troubleshooting flow chart and came to the conclusion the IDM may be bad. Also found on here that this code can prevent IDM codes from displaying.

Got a reman IDM and put it in today. Still no start, lots of white smoke while cranking and the weird ICP pressure. AE says the motor passes the buzz test and I hear 8 buzzes of equal strength (although I am not experienced enough to say the buzzes are as strong as they are supposed to be).

I see two possibilities:
1. Reman IDM is bad.
2. Original IDM was bad and the P1670 problem prevented these codes from displaying all-along.

I am leaning towards #2. My research about these new codes turned up the possibility that there is a bad harness or two, or a bad solenoid on an injector that is drawing too much current. Here's a post Dave at Swamps made in response to P1273 code:
"It's rare to have an inj solenoid go bad...but when a solenoid does go bad, we have seen them draw enough amps through the IDM to actually damage the IDM."

I also found on here that a bad IDM can fry a uvc harness, although I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that one...

For what it's worth, I put the uvc clips on last November.

So what's my next step guys? :shrug: Thanks in advance!

Best,
Jim

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Sounds like either another bad IDM or you got some bad UVCH harnesses. Gaskets could also be bad. Ohm out from the forty-two pin connector to the end of the injector harness. That way you will be checking out the engine harness, the gaskets and the UVCH harness all at the same time.

Here is a good wiring diagram to identify wires with. The pins are numbered on the forty-two pin connector.

·
fueled by Colecovision
3,060 Posts
what injectors? or how many miles on them?

Poor tolerances on the armature to solenoid can lead to repeated IDM failures.

when the armature is pulled up into the magnetic field produced by an energized solenoid...the armature actually disturbs that field.

The IDM compensates (for the magnetic disturbance) by modulating the current flow (amperage) that is sent to the solenoid.

If the injector tolerances are sooo bad that the IDM has to dump a BUNCH of current to "a" particular injector...the excessive current can actually damage the IDM circuitry.

--

with all that said...it sounds like a textbook case of a UVC harness being unplugged (on the passenger side).

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andy! I think you're right; I just don't know which way to go first...another IDM (warranty) or the harnesses. How would you proceed?
Best,
Jim

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
What Golfer said also. I was just looking at the bank 1 and bank 2 things.

I would ohm everything out first. Just pull the valve covers, look to see if the harnesses are plugged in. Unplug the injector wires from the injectors, ohm from there back to the 42 pin connector.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andy and Dave, thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

4 injectors (2, 3, 6, 8) have less than 7000 miles on them. The rest are original (I think) and the clock's got 71000. I'm not the original owner; I know there was a chip in the truck's past and I have no idea how it was maintained.

I will start by pulling the vc's and seeing what I can find.
Best,
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts