Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the water pump is going? I cannot see where it is leaking from. I noticed it when the truck was cold. I then drove it and it is not actively leaking. Are these the symptoms of the weep hole?
1. Anybody know where to buy a fan nut tool or how to fab one?
2. My coolant has a filter and the coolant is still beautiful red and good for about 4 more years. Can I drain it into clean jugs and reuse it? I really did not want to go through the whole flush procedure. I did it only about 4 years and 40k ago.
3. If it is the pump, what brand should I buy and from who? I cannot buy crap. As I recall, airtex is the pump brand. This truck is what we use on very long trips. I need a quality part.
4. Will I need to replace anything else? I have a billet thermostat housing.
5. How long do the water pumps usually last? I got 97k out of this one. Thanks.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I just had my water pump replaced while on a trip 1k miles from home. The Ford dealer was the only one that could get me in that week so I paid a hefty premium $900 including flush and filling with ELC, new hoses, new t-stat. They did throw in a free service loaner though.
My truck dripped a little running, it was when it shut down and heat sink set in that it leaked a good sized puddle. My thought was, It will only get worse and I had a bunch of miles towing to cover.

I will try to answer your questions based on what I went through.

1. Can't help you there, I was going to do the air chisle thing if I had made it home.
2. Thats what I would do.
3. I insisted on a Motocraft pump. They wanted to go the NAPA route but too many mixed reviews for my comfort. Check Riff Raff prices. My buddy just lost his Airtex with 50k on it the bearing came out of the housing and the fan destroyed the radiator.
4. Hoses? The ford tension hose clamps? I had one that would not seal 100% so I changed it over to screw type hose clamp.
5. Mine was changed at 88k. I had a coolant filter on it for 75k.

Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
My truck was doing the same thing I could never find the leak so i just replaced the whole pump. After I installed it I noticed it was still leaking out of inlet so i took it off and it was a little pitted, put some silicone on it and was good to go.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Partsguyed.com has a oem Blue Diamond water pump for $148. Riffraff Diesel has the same pump for the same price. Northern Auto Parts has the Airtex for under $100. I have been running the Airtex for over 4 years now.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought Airtex was oem?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I thought that my pump was leaking too but after close observation found it to be coming from the thermostat housing. It would be a lot cheaper option to try first

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oddly enough, it has now stopped leaking. I ordered an OEM from Clay at Riffraff. I rented a kit from Advance, but none of the wrenches fit the fan. Anybody know what size wrench the fan needs?

·
Your Daddy
198 Posts
1 7/8" if I remember correctly. I made a wrench for it, but it was a while ago.

Wrench:

I got 168k from the factory pump and only changed it out due to the new motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts