Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some of you have upgraded your turbos...

Some are running s362's, p-trim garretts, etc. What would be a good middle of the road upgrade for IDI.

For example someone upgrading to performance pump and injectors.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
The ats turbo (h-3trim) will flow ~50lbs/min
the 60-1 to4b flows ~60lbs/min (about the same as a 7 blade hx35)
the 362 we've seen flows ~72lbs/min

Are you trying to be more mild than the 362?

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
also remember not all turbos are created equal. There is more to it than the wheel sizes.

S362/64/66 turbos and Holset HE series for instance out class old school technology like T66/T70 and the stock turbo's stock/modded.

a schwitzer 62/65/14 would be a pretty good turbo for pump/sticks mods I think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
also remember not all turbos are created equal. There is more to it than the wheel sizes.

S362/64/66 turbos and Holset HE series for instance out class old school technology like T66/T70 and the stock turbo's stock/modded.

a schwitzer 62/65/14 would be a pretty good turbo for pump/sticks mods I think.
I actually think the t66 map fits a 6.9 or 7.3 better. They both flow about the same max, but the pressure ratio you need to force the air in there puts you off the map on the 362. Turbo lag might be an issue, but as far as the maps go, I like the t66.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I actually think the t66 map fits a 6.9 or 7.3 better. They both flow about the same max, but the pressure ratio you need to force the air in there puts you off the map on the 362. Turbo lag might be an issue, but as far as the maps go, I like the t66.
A T66 would spool dreadfully slow.

the BW turbos have much more advanced housings and wheel designs though, as well as better low/mid range performance. They are going to light up much faster and they aren't like a lot of turbos where when you run them off the map they start superheating to the point of losing power. They are just a superior designed turbo, and will perform better, even off of their map. Like I said before, most CTD guys push their S362's up into the 4+ PR range, which is why I wish I could find a better map for it.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Ok so here is a little work I did to the compressor map just to see how much boost it is capable of putting in, and how soon.. ect.
Keep in mind the biggest advantage the S300/400 chassis turbo's have is their exhaust housing/wheel designs that make them spool quicker. These maps only take what the compressor is capable of, does not take exhaust side into consideration.

Ok this is mapped out for 35psi.

red is pressure ratio
the blue shows that it is capable of hitting 35psi by 2300rpm
green is flow @ 3000rpm
yellow is flow @ 3200rpm

This is mapped for 30psi

I've been doing a crap load of reading on how to read comp maps, and map them to engines recently, mostly because I knew what I needed, because what I read online said thats what I needed. I wanted to truly understand it for myself and I am now seeing this. Furthermore due to more threads popping up on turbo options, that has led me to read about the BW turbos, the T-series, GT series.. ect so I can understand the differences.

You can find a lot of info on these chargers if you go over to some import sites. I have especially been doing a lot of reading on the S362 vs T66 and S366/371 vs T70 due to that being another charger that someone has now used, and people are going to start looking for used chargers. All the info I find basically points to the BW chargers being some of the best (which is good for me). every dyno sheet I have found on import sites and postings of people that went from a GT35 or T66 to a S362/366 netted them more power. I have also read on these sites that they also think the flow rating on the 362/366 chargers is very conservative, as a lot of them run them outside of their maps (just like the CTD guys) and they work flawlessly.

My next question for anyone that knows would be.... if these S362/366 maps are conservative, how would one go about getting an accurate map?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ats turbo (h-3trim) will flow ~50lbs/min
the 60-1 to4b flows ~60lbs/min (about the same as a 7 blade hx35)
the 362 we've seen flows ~72lbs/min

Are you trying to be more mild than the 362?
I am looking for 2 things....

1. A turbo that will push 20+lbs without super heating the air like my current banks.

2. A common turbo that can be found fro reasonable money used i.e hx35, used PSD, etc.

As much as i would love to, i really do not want to spend $1500 on a turbo.

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Honestly, Id look at an HX35, and try and find a 14cm housing for it. They are common, easy to rebuild, good turbos, And for a mild build, they will be just fine. If it wasnt for me finding the deal I got on my turbo, Id be running an HX35 right now.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, Id look at an HX35, and try and find a 14cm housing for it. They are common, easy to rebuild, good turbos, And for a mild build, they will be just fine. If it wasnt for me finding the deal I got on my turbo, Id be running an HX35 right now.
what about bone stock.....how would these do?

·
Registered
62 Posts
An hx35 would be good, but if you don't want to do a lot of custom work, an ats turbo with a 60-1 compressor upgrade would do 20psi. The 35 would probably be a better turbo though.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What about an He351 turbo from iirc 04.5-07 CTD. A lot of guys with 12v Cummins upgrade to these and they seem to perform pretty well also. Idk if it would be too big though. A lot of the CTD guys run them up to 38psi but I haven't seen any of the compressor maps though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The s362 looks like it would run great at 25psi, and even more efficient at 20psi. I'm glad someone is reading compressor maps instead of just saying hey this spools good on this it must work fine on this. It's not that easy. NMB2 I assume your gonna have yours run to 35psi? What vehicles did the s362 come on? Never mind those are absolute pressures so you would subtract 14.7 from them.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
The s362 looks like it would run great at 25psi, and even more efficient at 20psi. I'm glad someone is reading compressor maps instead of just saying hey this spools good on this it must work fine on this. It's not that easy. NMB2 I assume your gonna have yours run to 35psi? What vehicles did the s362 come on? Never mind those are absolute pressures so you would subtract 14.7 from them.

If you look along the left side of a compressor map you will see the pressure ratio values. To determine where 35 PSI factors in that scale you use the following formula 14.7+boost you want to run / 14.7= pressure ratio. So we take 14.7 add it to 35 psi and get 49.7 and we divide that by 14.7 and get 3.38 so our pressure ratio for 35 psi is 3.38 so find where 3.38 is on the map and mark it like I did in red.

This charger came on a Cat C-7

·
Registered
128 Posts
An hx35 would be good, but if you don't want to do a lot of custom work, an ats turbo with a 60-1 compressor upgrade would do 20psi. The 35 would probably be a better turbo though.
The 60-1 actually maps better than an HX35, remember the HX35 is only a 55mm inducer.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
You can have the best compressor on the planet, if the hot side sucks, the turbo isnt going to work well. The stock turbos for these engines have pretty crappy hot sides.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Very good point.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You can have the best compressor on the planet, if the hot side sucks, the turbo isnt going to work well. The stock turbos for these engines have pretty crappy hot sides.
That is very true. But since it is a Garrett, aren't there any turbine housings that will interchange with it that are better? That could be an easy possibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you look along the left side of a compressor map you will see the pressure ratio values. To determine where 35 PSI factors in that scale you use the following formula 14.7+boost you want to run / 14.7= pressure ratio. So we take 14.7 add it to 35 psi and get 49.7 and we divide that by 14.7 and get 3.38 so our pressure ratio for 35 psi is 3.38 so find where 3.38 is on the map and mark it like I did in red.

This charger came on a Cat C-7
Thanks for the info. I know i got all my turbocharger math all messed up i have it written on Favorited somewhere. Thanks it helps me visualize it non the less.

·
WOOOOO!!!!!
1,655 Posts
Aurora 5000 and let er eat Josh LOL

1 - 20 of 121 Posts