Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after dealing with my stock mechanical fuel pump crapping out, and knowing they're not a great design anyways, I have an idea. I am not going for big power on this, but just want a cheap, cleaner setup than the stock obs, and I will eventually upgrade injectors.

Get a super duty fuel bowl and electric pump.

Swap hpop resovoir to sd style to mount stock sd fuel bowl (I have one laying around, so its free minus cost of gaskets)

Figure out what I need to do for fuel lines?

Could I make fuel feed lines to go to all 4 corners of the heads, and have the excess fuel returned still through the stock return? The stock sd setup has the fuel returned at one end of each head, then back to the bowl, and back to the tank from there, correct? What could I do here? Would I be forced to run a regulated return? Any ideas from yall would be much appreciated. And if you're just going to tell me, buy a fuel system, don't bother commenting. I am detirmined to make this work, and am looking for ideas. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The stock sd setup has the fuel returned at one end of each head, then back to the bowl, and back to the tank from there, correct?
The sd does not have a regulated return system. The fuel that goes to the heads deadheads. The fuel is regulated before it enters the heads and the excess fuel is sent back to the tank.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The stock sd setup has the fuel returned at one end of each head, then back to the bowl, and back to the tank from there, correct? What could I do here?
I understand that
Im not sure that you do. Just to help clarify for you...on a super duty, the fuel goes into one end of each head and it never leaves until it goes out the tailpipe as gas and ash. the regulator is at the bowl and excess fuel is returned at that point. so to set your obs up as a stock super duty system, you will need to block off one end of each head.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure that you do. Just to help clarify for you...on a super duty, the fuel goes into one end of each head and it never leaves until it goes out the tailpipe as gas and ash. the regulator is at the bowl and excess fuel is returned at that point. so to set your obs up as a stock super duty system, you will need to block off one end of each head.
Yes I have a good understanding of it now. I have pretty much already figured out my plan. I'm going to feed the front of each head, and tie a regulator into both rear fuel rail fittings. Seems simple and clean enough for what I want.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should have worded it differently, I get that there are not physical return lines from the heads on a sd

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
It would be easier to leave the feed/return as they are and put your regulator at the front of the heads.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regardless of which way I plumb it up, I'm still going to have to ditch the stock obs feed lines, or cut them up, which I'm not doing. So, I'm juwt going to set it up like a sd. I've been looking around, and have probably decided on a riff raff frx. It will do EXACTLY what I need/want.

·
Registered
932 Posts
yes, if you are going to do the super duty bowl, you might as well set it up just like a super duty. adding the frx is a bonus. all that being said, if you are going the super duty route, you might as well just install the super duty supply lines to the heads also. pass. side to the rear head and drivers to the front I believe. Although your plan is gonna work well for you since you already have some of the parts kicking aroung, I believe you are discovering why most people just start from scratch. hope it all works out for you.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I totally understand why people go the route they do, but I guess I see things differently than others. Like I've said, I happen to like the sd bowl setup, and in my experiences, they aren't that prone to leaking, and you can actually work around them, vs the obs setup. And I will be running the stock sd lines as well. I have the bowl, one line, the hpop res, and a buddy is looking for the other line, so all I need to buy is the frx and sd fuel pump.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You crazy mo fo its impossible. But if you figure it out plan on finding some more parts and helping me put it on my truck!

·
Squeezing out Torque...
157 Posts
You crazy mo fo its impossible.
If comments like that, that people like me take that on as a challenge... Especially when it can be done. You just do not see the possibilities.

Foremost--> It's just plumping. The return would be different but you would adjust for that. Think outside the box... treat it as just a filter housing. But you would have to do other things to make that work for you.

First off, the OBS bowl and return works with an electric pump. When you do a fuel filter delete, you can mod the regulator for the regulated return.

Have you seen an SD bowl?

You have to replumb it to work. The lines are different and the return is different. Even though an SD Bowl already works with an electric pump, most OBS guys don't convert to it.

Why? Main reason is the SD bowl is more notorious about having leaks than the OBS was. Next, the SD fuel system deadheads the fuel valleys in the head...

but some run feed lines to each corner (total 4) to up the fuel volume. Each has some drawbacks from deadheading, but that is no different than any stock SD system.

You can use it as just a reservoi and filter and disable/plug the return and use a separate OBS or other fuel return to keep the fuel flowing through the fuel valleys without dead heading the heads... using pretty much the stock lines.

Then again, then there is modding the 6.0l bowl to use on an OBS:
r

·
Registered
76 Posts
If comments like that, that people like me take that on as a challenge... Especially when it can be done. You just do not see the possibilities.

Foremost--> It's just plumping. The return would be different but you would adjust for that. Think outside the box... treat it as just a filter housing. But you would have to do other things to make that work for you.

First off, the OBS bowl and return works with an electric pump. When you do a fuel filter delete, you can mod the regulator for the regulated return.

You have to replumb it to work. The lines are different and the return is different. Even though an SD Bowl already works with an electric pump, most OBS guys don't convert to it.

Why? Main reason is the SD bowl is more notorious about having leaks than the OBS was. Next, the SD fuel system deadheads the fuel valleys in the head...

but some run feed lines to each corner (total 4) to up the fuel volume. Each has some drawbacks from deadheading, but that is no different than any stock SD system.

You can use it as just a reservoi and filter and disable/plug the return and use a separate OBS or other fuel return to keep the fuel flowing through the fuel valleys without dead heading the heads... using pretty much the stock lines.

r
Haha me and ghohouston are good friends and he is the guy around here if you need work on a ford diesel you call! I know it can be done I was only playing around. Just to clear it up haha

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts

r
That's an interesting yellow engine. Are those hose barbs on the 6.0 unit?LOL

·
Billy Big Rigger
288 Posts
Why not just do a banjo block and tight wad mod setup and leave the pump and filters on the frame and be done? Much more room in the valley than either bowl and even less messing around to make it all work, and it keeps it regulated return for less than buying an FRX....

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plenty of room in the valley with a sd setup. You can actually remove the ipr without removing anything else with a sd setup, I could go on for days as to why I want to convert. Anyhow, I've already sourced all my parts minus the pump itself and frx. Those will be bought soon. I got a sd bowl, hard lines for the fuel rails, hard lines that run up the side of the block, and a sd hpop resovoir so I can mount the bowl.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts