Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The White/gold truck started leaking fuel badly last sunday. I assumed it was a loose line or dried out rubber line but no... it the damned press fit hard line coming into the divider. No way to tighten. So I got looking and since the pump is still good why not just ditch the bowl? So what if I put an in-line on the frame and run it directly to the pump, skipping the block. Then run 1 hard line to the dual feed lines or an RR.

This is because I can't afford the DIY RR ELE pump convo yet, will this idea work?????

·
Registered
757 Posts
I would like to know to?

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trying to get a clear pic of the factory OBS routing. I know it comes into the bowl, then out to the pump, from there back to the reg on the side of the bowl. What I don't know is where the factory return comes out. This would clean the V up considerably even if you left the pump in. The only serious cost would be the RR on mine cuz its bad but on a working one the factory reg could be used. Planning to yank mine and replace next weekend with a see-through.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Trying to get a clear pic of the factory OBS routing. I know it comes into the bowl, then out to the pump, from there back to the reg on the side of the bowl. What I don't know is where the factory return comes out. This would clean the V up considerably even if you left the pump in. The only serious cost would be the RR on mine cuz its bad but on a working one the factory reg could be used. Planning to yank mine and replace next weekend with a see-through.
joe give me a couple days and ill build you a setup to try out :evil

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
joe give me a couple days and ill build you a setup to try out :evil
What kind??

Does anyone know where to find out where the return line comes from? I can't seem to find it on the reg. Could it be at the pump???? Pics????

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
What kind??

Does anyone know where to find out where the return line comes from? I can't seem to find it on the reg. Could it be at the pump???? Pics????
the secret squirrel kind my friend haha, just pm me your address and it will magicly appear on your front porch

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The factory return lines come from the heads in the front and go to the regulator then a single hard line goes back to the tank from the regulator.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Subscribed -

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The factory return lines come from the heads in the front and go to the regulator then a single hard line goes back to the tank from the regulator.
So the hard lines in the rear are feed lines? Then I had it backwards, the hard line under the reg is what's leaking. It looks like it runs back to the pump, but it must continue on?

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
So the hard lines in the rear are feed lines? Then I had it backwards, the hard line under the reg is what's leaking. It looks like it runs back to the pump, but it must continue on?
Fuel comes up to the engine in a flex line, switches to a hard line at the side/back of the filter canister, then drops down into the valley and heads back to the pump. There's a short rubber hose to couple the hard line to the inlet nipple on the front of the pump at the top. The top of the pump is the diaphragm (low pressure) section.

Fuel then goes out through the other nipple on the top, through the rubber coupler section and forward into the fuel filter canister. It goes out the bottom of the canister, through yet another short section of rubber hose coupler and into the nipple on the bottom of the pump, into the piston (high pressure) section of the pump. After the piston it goes out through the banjo fitting and splits to feed each head from the rear.
The return fuel from the heads comes up the front through braided hose, where they thread onto the regulator. The fuel leaves the regulator and goes through a flex hose back to the selector valve and back to tank.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuel comes up to the engine in a flex line, switches to a hard line at the side/back of the filter canister, then drops down into the valley and heads back to the pump. There's a short rubber hose to couple the hard line to the inlet nipple on the front of the pump at the top. The top of the pump is the diaphragm (low pressure) section.

Fuel then goes out through the other nipple on the top, through the rubber coupler section and forward into the fuel filter canister. It goes out the bottom of the canister, through yet another short section of rubber hose coupler and into the nipple on the bottom of the pump, into the piston (high pressure) section of the pump. After the piston it goes out through the banjo fitting and splits to feed each head from the rear.
The return fuel from the heads comes up the front through braided hose, where they thread onto the regulator. The fuel leaves the regulator and goes through a flex hose back to the selector valve and back to tank.

So it goes through the canister twice? But only filters by vacume... correct?

What I plan is to splice a filter into the feed line under cab then run to the pump, then the heads through pre-existing lines, then out and back to the reg minus the FB and out through the factory return. Since its a pressed fitting on the return nipple I may be able to tap or solder the leak and thus clean up the V and make future work and mods much simpler. Does this sound resonable?

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
So it goes through the canister twice? But only filters by vacume... correct?

What I plan is to splice a filter into the feed line under cab then run to the pump, then the heads through pre-existing lines, then out and back to the reg minus the FB and out through the factory return. Since its a pressed fitting on the return nipple I may be able to tap or solder the leak and thus clean up the V and make future work and mods much simpler. Does this sound resonable?
Sorry, I was a little unclear. It changes from the flex line to the hard line NEAR the side/back of the canister, not attached to the canister.
The fuel is filtered once, under low pressure, not vacuum.

The stock pump may not be able to draw the fuel through a filter on the frame rail, I don't know. I do know it takes a LOT of cranking to fill the fuel bowl once you're run it dry (don't ask) with the complete stock system. Of course, my perception of time may have been distorted by the -15 deg F temperatures and 20mph wind that evening.
To try your idea, you would have to run the fuel through the filter, into the inlet of the diapgragm portion of the pump, then from the diaphragm outlet to the inlet of the piston portion of the pump. The piston portion I know for a fact won't create enough vacuum to draw the fuel, you must use the diaphragm pump as the 1st stage.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pump is dual stage? That explains why the lid leaks if you don't get it tight. What psi is the 1st stage? You think a clear plastic spin-on could handle it? I'll do what it takes to the damned bowl outta the way!

Unless it requires $. LOL

On edit: Even better if we're talking under 10psi a large in-line mounted between low and high might just do this.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
The pump is dual stage? That explains why the lid leaks if you don't get it tight. What psi is the 1st stage? You think a clear plastic spin-on could handle it? I'll do what it takes to the damned bowl outta the way!

Unless it requires $. LOL

On edit: Even better if we're talking under 10psi a large in-line mounted between low and high might just do this.
Yep. Two stage pump. Piston pumps are terrible at drawing drawing a vacuum, so they have to be force fed. But, they're awesome at building a high pressure.

I have no clue what the pressure is in the canister. I've heard of people using it (OBS canister) with a SD pump and no return. They said you could see each cylinder pulse in the cap as it flexed and bowed.

Remember, you need the filter (or 1st filter in a multiple filter setup) to remove the water. So an inline to catch debris won't cut it. You gotta get the water out of the fuel.

Since your a penny pinching cheapskate miser Scrooge (much like myself), you can clean up around the leaking area with brake cleaner and sand paper, then smear a bunch of JB weld on and around the area. It turned the steady stream of fuel into a tiny drip on my old FPR.
How Rednecks fix O-rings (Or, Another use for JB Weld) - PowerStrokeNation

Pump:

Ready to be dissected:

Partially cut apart:

Upper half (diaphragm portion):

Pressure:

·
OBS Addict
1,350 Posts
Custom regulator & Filter setup using a Fleetguard FS1212 spin on filter, and Cat 527 Grapple Cat, Grapple Rotate pressure control valve

·
OBS Addict
1,350 Posts
yep, relocated it to somewhere easier to access. Its a PITA to get to it under the fuel lines to the spin-on filter

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Did you relocate the icp? Why didn't I think of that? :doh:
The ICP sensor is still in the factory location.. Look at the bottom right corner of the picture.. It is still there.. unless my eyes are playing games on me..;)

Or we could be talking about a differant ICP..

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yep, relocated it to somewhere easier to access. Its a PITA to get to it under the fuel lines to the spin-on filter
So simple a caveman could've done it. All mine are getting relocated pronto!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts