Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With summer coming and as luck would have it my a/c is messing up. Its blowing cold as ever so its not freon... This problem started about a week ago.

Used to, as soon as a start the truck the a/c would come out the vents immeditly, now it takes it 10-15 sec or so to go from defrost to the vents. Once its coming out the vents, there is still a lil bit of air coming out the defrosters, so it seems to me that the vaccum pump isnt pulling strong enough vaccum to completly close the door on the a/c.

I have checked for a leaky hose and didnt find anything. Could the vaccum pump be on its way out.? I did a reg. return and when i turned the key on to check for leaks, the pump came one and i just unplugged it while it was running so i could listen for air bubbles coming out the fittings. Could this have messed the pump up?

Id like to fix this by the weekend. I have a 12 hr trip ahead of me and id like it fixed.

Thanks.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Its most likely the damn pump....they run but stop doing the job completely. Ive replaced mine and it sdoing the same thing again, five years later. You could have a vacuum leak but its probably the pump.

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
With summer coming and as luck would have it my a/c is messing up. Its blowing cold as ever so its not freon... This problem started about a week ago.

Used to, as soon as a start the truck the a/c would come out the vents immeditly, now it takes it 10-15 sec or so to go from defrost to the vents. Once its coming out the vents, there is still a lil bit of air coming out the defrosters, so it seems to me that the vaccum pump isnt pulling strong enough vaccum to completly close the door on the a/c.

I have checked for a leaky hose and didnt find anything. Could the vaccum pump be on its way out.? I did a reg. return and when i turned the key on to check for leaks, the pump came one and i just unplugged it while it was running so i could listen for air bubbles coming out the fittings. Could this have messed the pump up?

Id like to fix this by the weekend. I have a 12 hr trip ahead of me and id like it fixed.

Thanks.

It sounds like you have been driving my truck. Mine started doing the exact same thing.

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
Its most likely the damn pump....they run but stop doing the job completely. Ive replaced mine and it sdoing the same thing again, five years later. You could have a vacuum leak but its probably the pump.
Do you know the part number for the pump or what Ford calls it in their parts catalog?

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
ummm....no..Ive not touched mine in 5 years. I probably wont change mine soon either sincve IM used to the air coming out the defrost setting.... I bought my last pump at carquest..

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i called ford and they said the pump was $60.00.

Tyler.... If you could get that part number off your pump that would be great. Im sure the parts house is cheaper than Ford.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone else have any on this

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am having the same problem also. Plus the fan sounds like it is blowing hard but very little air come out the vents and just the vents. Any ideas? I have looked for something in the air inlet in side the cab but nothing there. Have not had a chance to look at it since I checked the inlet and with the key on engine off the controls for floor to vent to defrost seem to work fine.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with the truck running, see if your vaccum pump is kicking off on the passanger fender well. It should cut off... Mine isnt and im thinking my pump is going out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes the pump does cut off but the switching of the positions seem to be slower. Sometimes I have to work the dash control to get air out of the vents but still no alot of air flow. I am thinking the pump is weak. yours sounds like a vaccum leak do you have auto hubs ?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Check the vacuum reservoir really good for cracks.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i do have auto hubs but they havent ever worked like they should. This a/c stuff just started all of a sudden. Im gonna do some really good checking tomorrow and see what i can come up with.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
yeah if you have cracks in your res that would do it. The #s on the part in your truck that is bad will get you the right part at cq,or oreillys. I dont know the part on my truck. Its right next to the reservoir. There is a vacuum reservoir behind the glove box that pulls the air from defrost to floor also...those go bad. As does the blend door actuator(could be responsible for slow position changes0 that is to the right of the reservoir I previously mentioned. Or if you have auto hubs you could have vacuum leaks. I ditched those pos's after two winters and never looked back.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well im gonna find something out tomorrow. Im gonna tear into it and see what i find. Im hoping its something super simple. Either the res. or the pump.

Thanks for everyones help. I report back when i find something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I just got done with mine. Wanted to update this to help someone else. Checked all the vac. lines again and all was good. Truck had been sitting for around 5 hours and when I pulled the vac. line off of the box I got a big air release so that told me the vac. system was good. Pulled the fan out and the evap core looked like it had black carpet over it. 2 hours of pulling black gunk off the core and a good vaccum. Not so fun and hard on the hands. But I now have good cold air again and it will blow your hat off. LOL Hope this helps some one else. Has anyone found a good spray cleaner for the core. Mine is much better but would like to get it even cleaner.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found my problem... I checked my pump and if i would disconnect the outlet of the pump and cover it with my finger it would cut off immedetly so that eliminated the pump, i took the resevoir out and checked it out and it was crack free.

Next i disconnected the ESOF hubs and capped them off. (still not doing right at this point)

I started tracing some vacuum lines that controls the a/c that comes out the firewall, there was a blk and a gray hose and low and behold, the gray hose was not connected to anything. I plugged it back in with the help of a dab of silicon and it works like it did before.

I took a pic of what hose it was but i cant find the SD card for my phone memory card. Ill upload the pic when i can... Im glad it was something simple.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Well I just got done with mine. Wanted to update this to help someone else. Checked all the vac. lines again and all was good. Truck had been sitting for around 5 hours and when I pulled the vac. line off of the box I got a big air release so that told me the vac. system was good. Pulled the fan out and the evap core looked like it had black carpet over it. 2 hours of pulling black gunk off the core and a good vaccum. Not so fun and hard on the hands. But I now have good cold air again and it will blow your hat off. LOL Hope this helps some one else. Has anyone found a good spray cleaner for the core. Mine is much better but would like to get it even cleaner.
Parts stores sell a can of foam cleaner for the evap core but if you already had it out then you could have mixed simple green and water and sprayed it and then rinsed it off....clean the drain for the core out and it shouldnt hold moisture for the mold to grow...good luck!

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
i called ford and they said the pump was $60.00.

Tyler.... If you could get that part number off your pump that would be great. Im sure the parts house is cheaper than Ford.
CQ said they cant get the part anymore as of today. They said their computer says 'Ford only'. So there ya go. Im gonna attempt to deal with mine tonight.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
CQ said they cant get the part anymore as of today. They said their computer says 'Ford only'. So there ya go. Im gonna attempt to deal with mine tonight.
I bought one last week from Ford. The part number was revised in 2008. So if you take the old one in it wont get you a part. Additionally, that part is not 60 bucks.....or 150...Mine was 247 delivered to Ford. YIKES!!

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats riciculous. Im glad mine was just an unplugged line.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts