Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 ford f350 CCLWB 7.3

at idle i'm hitting 60 degrees, once the pedal is pushed drops to 40.
Any ideas? Its reading on the guage you get with freon in the red, like danger.
all oem, never been messed with, but I think someone may have added and added freon and never checked to see how much was in there.
its not a COLD cool, its just cool. My 99 jeep cherokee will get artic to the point my hands can't move after about 15 minutes, and I'd sure like this one to be the same way!!

I just aquired a robinair evac machine with 134a, digital, vacuum pump etc, and would like to put it to work, just have no clue on how to use it. It does have instructions though, but I'd like to know where I need to start looking before I just throw parts in it.

thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
30 to 40 degrees below outside ambient temperature is pretty good. I will check mine tomorrow and post back.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't sure if anyone has that big of a fluctuation between idle and driving.
20 degree's sure seems like a big swing. I'll take back the 40 degree temp probably more like 45 degree's.

Could anyone else post up their idle temp and driving temp so I'll have a comparison to judge mine by?

thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
90 degrees here in Jersey today. Idle cab temp was 66 degrees and cruisin the highway dropped to 58.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
an overcharged system will not function correctly and you pretty much have a bomb in your truck now.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
an overcharged system will not function correctly and you pretty much have a bomb in your truck now.
please explain

well is it salvageable? if I pull it down with an evac, pull a vacuum and then recharge to proper spec's, with the right amount of oil?

how much pag oil do I need, is it the standard 6 ounces?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
90 degrees here in Jersey today. Idle cab temp was 66 degrees and cruisin the highway dropped to 58.

looks like your worse off than I am, have you checked yours out? that seems awfully high for a/c its more like luke warm I'd think.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Since you have a recovery machine, the place to start is to recover the refrigerant pull a 15 minute vacuum and recharge.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
i havent messed with this stuff much in awhile, not really sure how many lbs of refrigerant or how much pag oil to use but i believe you would want the high pressure side to be 160-175 psi with the condensor @ 100 deg F,that is with r134a.an overcharged system will flood and will not cool very well,a system that is low on charge will actually frost over the condensor wich isnt good either becuase it will not absorb as much heat

·
Registered
453 Posts
I measured cab temperature not the vent temp.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If I point a laser temp gun in the register to the left of the glovebox it will reach almost 0 degress at 1500 RPM, fan set one notch from lowest.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
If I point a laser temp gun in the register to the left of the glovebox it will reach almost 0 degress at 1500 RPM, fan set one notch from lowest.
You need a new laser gun.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Those things do some funky stuff. Open the freezer door some time and try pointing it at different items in there.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thats funny Tom because I did the same thing! The standard analog dial thermometer will read 40 degrees in the same vent. Either way the cab temp ends up to be 55 to 58 degrees. If I'm driving the vent will put a good freeze on my hand!

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
If you want to tune up your a/c and not spend much money start with a new orifice. They clog over time as the compressor sheds parts which is normal. The screen on the orifice will clog causing your system to not cool very well.

Depending on where you get one it will run between $2 and $9. Drain system, change orifice, pull a vacuum and recharge it. If the system is at least 5 years old you will always see a good drop in temps.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you want to tune up your a/c and not spend much money start with a new orifice. They clog over time as the compressor sheds parts which is normal. The screen on the orifice will clog causing your system to not cool very well.

Depending on where you get one it will run between $2 and $9. Drain system, change orifice, pull a vacuum and recharge it. If the system is at least 5 years old you will always see a good drop in temps.

I see at Advance Auto Parts there are different orifice tubes. Do you know the difference between the 2 dollar one and the 32 dollar ones. the 32 dollar one says its:
Factory Air Orifice Tube
Part No. 38904
Warranty: 1 YEAR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE
Orifice Tube; Factory Air; Optional Automatic Adjusting Orifice Tube for severe climates (105¦+)

here is the link:
Air Conditioning Parts - Advance Auto Parts

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
The cheap ones are the normal orifice tubes, the expensive ones are suposed to automatically adjust depending on conditions.

The Smart VOV (variable orifice valve) uses system pressure and refrigerant flow to move a metering piston relative to a fixed opening in the sleeve. The piston movement is resisted by an attached spring.

When idling at high ambient temperatures, the piston shifts to a smaller metering area similar to a TXV. This compensates for the reduced compressor output and increases the cooling performance. The Smart VOV also has a unique re-open feature which reduces compressor pressure for severe idle conditions.

At highway speeds, the Smart VOV operates on a large orifice. The net result is better performance than a TXV without the complexity or reliability concerns.

Unlike a TXV, which has constantly moving parts and small internal clearances, the Smart VOV is stationary during most operating conditions and has large internal clearances. Its low friction floating design insures smooth operation and extremely long life.
Ive never fooled with one so I cant really give an opinion on it. Sounds cool though :D

·
THE ONE AND ONLY!
2,736 Posts
Laser Gun will NOT work for reading Vent Temps......

Buy one of these....

(Taylor Digital Instant-Read Pocket Thermometer)

And just STICK it in the VENT ;)

Follow these rules when checking AC temps/Pressures..

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts