Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use my A/C compressor for onboard air while retaining the heater? How many CFM and PSI do the A/C units put out?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
It is possible, I looked into this a while back for my old truck. I will take a little time to figure out the details, but a really cool mod.

Try searching on the 4X4 forums.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far unable to find anything on Pirate4x4, most folks are using Vlair onboard systems.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Yes it is possible to do but by the time you gather all of the materials you will need to do it and the amount of effort required the cost outweighs the gain. You would be money ahead by just installing a prebuilt system. The other issue is that if you mess up building a system the pressures that come off the high side of an a/c compressor could kill you. For example you would have a storage tank capable of hold around 150 psi. The high side is capable of producing pressures in the neighborhood of 500 psi which is in the extreme but is more than enough to burst a holding tank or line and seriously injure you or kill you. If you are dead set on doing it though, you will need a pressure limiting switch, a single pole switch, a tank of your chosing in size, and an air breather.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
I think youd be alot cheaper just buy a viair system. I have one and i have no complaints about it.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
You have to use a compressor that uses crankcase oil like the old ones (big). The refrigerant carries the oil on modern systems. Also a safety blowoff valve is a required in my book just to be safe as well.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well slap me sideways! 500psi! holy great balls batman!
Alright... transfer to a new plan... When I delete the A/C can I keep my heater and where bouts can I source that A/C delete pulley?
Or Ive seen rigs with 2 alternators, how are those regulated so they dont blow the batteries?
Anyone have experience with the welders that powered by the serpentine belt system? Their name escapes me at the moment.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could I plumb my crankcase vent into the suction side of the compressor after a filter to oil the pump and then put a filter/separator on the pressure side?
For the tank I could probably install a 150psi shutoff switch run to the compressor, or a 150 psi blowoff valve?
When I made some air cannons we also used Air-compressor regulators to regulate the Co2 from the bottles (800psi) down to 100 psi, how could I plumb in a regulator on the pressure side to allow only 150psi and to stop over-pressurization of the holding tank?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Could I plumb my crankcase vent into the suction side of the compressor after a filter to oil the pump and then put a filter/separator on the pressure side? Interesting idea, it would not be the same oil as the compressor runs. You would have to be creative in case the pump doesn't move the same amount of air as the breather, and some type of bypass when the pump is off.

For the tank I could probably install a 150psi shutoff switch run to the compressor, or a 150 psi blowoff valve?I would use both, but set your pressure switch to like 120 psi then use a blow off valve set for around 150 psi.

When I made some air cannons we also used Air-compressor regulators to regulate the Co2 from the bottles (800psi) down to 100 psi, how could I plumb in a regulator on the pressure side to allow only 150psi and to stop over-pressurization of the holding tank?
That is the function of the pressure switch, to de-energize the compressor clutch when desired pressure is reached.
See RED

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You could buy PAG oil and put some in the compressor on the suction(low) side every so often. It isn't like you will be running the compressor all the time anyway.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did this a few years back on a 85 toyota I had. I used the factory A/C pump. Made a intake with a small K&N I found, then a small oil injection(think it was for air tools). That was plumbed to the intake. Out of the compressor went to a pressure switch set at 120PSI then to a water/oil seperator, then it was plumbed to 12gallon tank in the box. From there I had lines going under the hood and into the fuel door with quick connects. There was a 150PSI safety valve on the tank as well. It worked very well. I had it wired through the factory A/C switch. Was not super fast, but reliable. Just make sure to have a pressure switch so it cuts in and out at whatever you seet the switch at. I rearly had to add oil to it. It didn't use too much.

·
Registered
153 Posts
why not plumb in a york? i forget the company but they make a bracket that is way overpriced but doesnt look too hard to do. check out extremeoutback.com

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
I modded my a/c into onboard air on my obs. It's really easy to do. I just cut both lines rite behind the a/c pump. The big line is suction and the small is pressure. Dont worry you won't hit anywhere 500psi:pointlaugh:. At 150psi the a/c clutch will slip. I wired my pump to a switch in the cab and then to a pressure switch that is set at 120 psi. I have a DIY bumper that has about a 10 gallon capacity. If I plan on running air tools or airing up a big truck tire or tractor tire I pop the hood and spray airtool oil in the suction side. Just keep an eye on it if it's been running awhile, those things get really hot.

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts