Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99.5 f250. crew cab, auto, 7.3l. The truck will not start. I turn the key and the volts start to go up and then drop suddenly to below 8. I had a buddy turn the key to on while I was in the engine bay and a small cylinder shaped module with a few wires coming out will click and all the volts drop. It will eventually come back and the volts will be in the middle of the volt meter(stock gauge) but the starter just clicks and it wont start.

Im currently stuck at work, so any info would be great.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
First it seems your batteries are low. Did you try jump starting it. You will need a set of good heavy duty jumper cables. Try to tap the starter with a hammer. Next bump the starter from under the truck by using a screw driver to make a connection between the two terminals on the starter.

How old are your batteries? Have them load tested. Do not replace just one. Replace both with a quality group 65 battery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First it seems your batteries are low. Did you try jump starting it. You will need a set of good heavy duty jumper cables. Try to tap the starter with a hammer. Next bump the starter from under the truck by using a screw driver to make a connection between the two terminals on the starter.

How old are your batteries? Have them load tested. Do not replace just one. Replace both with a quality group 65 battery.
both batteries are about 3 months old and were tested last week when it did this. It just started out of nowhere and was totally fine. I looked for any problem I could fine and couldn't find anything wrong. The alternator is good too. It did this last night where it would crank super slow and wouldnt start. Out of nowhere it just cranked right up. I have NO idea what this could be.

The truck is on the charger right now and still cant get enough juice to even crank it over.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when I turn the key on the volts come to normal and then drop. All the lights go off and just like 2 dash lights stay on. This is without even trying to crank it. When I turn the key back off, all the lights come back on and the door dinger starts going crazy again.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
So is the starter dragging and slow cranking? A dying starter can take out the batteries.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Check all the battery connections and make sure they are tight. The voltage draw is the glow plug module and glow plugs which is normal. I suspect batteries and starter.
Did you try the bump method I mentioned?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced my starter thinking first it was my batteries. Either way it was the same price... Could it maybe be the glow plug solenoid? I've heard a lot of similar symptoms from faulty solenoids. Check ground cables and all the battery cables too. It seems it's the smallest things that causes the BIGGEST headaches!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Sounds like the batteries are dead... But if they are only 3 months old, I would be looking for a reason why...

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Check the alt by having it tested.
Clean and tighten terminals..mine had a loose one and batteries got hammered.

·
Paul
160 Posts
When checking your cable connections, remember to check both ends. The round cables where they connect to the block are often over looked. As others have said, have the alternator tested, and have the batteries load tested. It is possible for a new battery to fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts