Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99+ Spyder and want to run the intake air heater...
Anyone else running one on a OBS???
If so hoe do you have it Powered??

Thanks
John

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
From what I've read in other threads, the AIH doesn't help whatsoever with cold starts. Its more of an emissions thing.

Replace yoru GPR with a Stancor, and if you still have problems, replace your glow plugs and switch to a 5W40 synthetic. No more problems... my truck has started in 0* weather easily this winter, and I don't plug it in. It hasn't been colder so I don't know how it'll perform then.

EDIT: Here are a few quotes from search results in the Super Duty 7.3L Section... you would see no benefit from adding the AIH to your truck.

The AIH has nothing to do with starting the truck. It's simply an emissions device to reduce the visibility of white smoke during cold winter startups.

The glow plug system is what aids the truck in starting. Depending on outside temperatures and altitude, the glow plugs can run for up to 2 minutes AFTER you have already started the truck. The AIH does not turn on until after the glow plugs have shut off. So if it's pretty cold outside, your AIH is disabled for the first 2 minutes of your engine running.

In short, don't worry about it. Not having an AIH won't leave you stranded anywhere.
The AIH on Sd does not help in the warm-up process,it is there for emissions for long period of time of ideling along with a few more factors that have to be met before it comes on to heat.(basicaly never)
IIRC, the AIH is not used for cold starting. It is purely used for emission reasons. The PCM turns it on after the truck has been idleing for a set amount of time, and a certain cold tempature. I know I have never had one functioning and have not had many problems starting my truck cold.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've read in other threads, the AIH doesn't help whatsoever with cold starts. Its more of an emissions thing.

Replace yoru GPR with a Stancor, and if you still have problems, replace your glow plugs and switch to a 5W40 synthetic. No more problems... my truck has started in 0* weather easily this winter, and I don't plug it in. It hasn't been colder so I don't know how it'll perform then.

EDIT: Here are a few quotes from search results in the Super Duty 7.3L Section... you would see no benefit from adding the AIH to your truck.
WOW...

Thank's I am new to the PSD stuff, I have a IDI that I am doing a Conversion to...

I was thinking that it would help starts, Because I thought I read somewere that Cummings has some kinda heater grid. That heats the air on a cold start...
Thats why i was thinking that the intake heater was along the same lines.

Oh well that solves that problem.

Thanks
John

·
wheres the fat chicks?
1,833 Posts
the aih heates the air before it goes in the engine to reduce white smoke AFTER startup.there is also like 5 things that have to be right for it to even activate(engine oil temp.,outside temp.,parking brake set?,and some others).summed up...its useless

1 - 6 of 6 Posts