Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The next step is the bottom portion to cover the lower ends of the coolers. Then probably the brush guard if i haven't changed my mind on what i want. I need to find someone to bend the round tubing. Hopefully we will be purchasing a bender soon just trying to make sure we get a good one. Than I'll get to the under signal area with whatever i decide to do there. Working a bunch so not sure when I'll have some time to get to the bumper. Also in the process of selling our house so I don't get much time to utilize at my leisure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Spray it down with rust inhibitor while you're not working on it. Sucks to have to wire wheel the whole thing later! I know this first hand.

I like what you're doing here and I look forward to how you complete the design.

I wish I could comment on adding the LED's, but I have no experience. Are you wanting something for off-road only or all the time? In order for it to look right, something needs to be there for sure.

I think a pre-runner style bars would look good. One center hoop leaned forward a bit and maybe one from each end connecting to the main tube. Something along these lines:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the input. I will be using a rust inhibitor spray, thanks. I am going to do something to close up that gap just trying to decide just what lol. The lights would be for offroad only mostly because they would follow that angle of the headlights to illuminate the ditches, I think it would be nice to have a large field of light up front. I am going to do a prerunner main hoop that will set just above hood line and the side bars I was thinking of coming out following the top headlight and follow down the turn signals to the bumper if that makes any sense. I'll try and draw it out and post when I can.

And love that OBS with that bumper jesus. That looks like the hammered paint style?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sky is the limit if you intend on only using LED's offroad. If you don't have to worry about blinding people, there's some cool stuff out there!

I understand what you're thinking for the secondary hoop supports. Something to protect the headlights and not block their light. This is an interesting approach:

The OBS picture is just a random pic google found for me. But yeah that's a hammered finish.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah kinda like that pic. Just the bars tie into the main hoop instead of over but yeah. Glad I made some sense lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
And I think I will do the led bars under the turns. My truck ain't all spoiled kid dbag looking so I think it will look awesome. Also got some 38x12.50-16.5 tsls on her. Very happy with them so far. Hopefully get some offroad time in to get a good test on them. I'll post pics soon.

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
I think you need to extend the bumper rearward to match the fender opening and fill in the gaps below the headlights and fenders. You can always add the LEDs in front of the fill plates.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah that's in the plan. Need them for the headlight tube guard. Still thinking on what would look best there design wise. I think I will incorporate a footstep/hi-lift jack point. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts

So in the top pic add a piece of the same size tubing and run it straight back to the wheel opening. Leave it a little long. Then follow the wheel opening down and trim it to fit. After that add some flat plate horizontally off the bumper to fill in the lower gap and then add another strip from the wheel well all the way to the grill on the vertial. Hope this makes sense.

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
You have a templet for the top piece. It's going to be just like the one on your ranch hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your bumper looks awful high to be able to get much us from a hi-lift. But I do like the idea of some sort of foot hold. Just not sure what type of wheeling you do. For rock crawling, you certainly don't want anything to impede approach angle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Meant to pass along an article for aux lighting I did a few years ago that might help you:
Welcome to Jesus_man's Auxiliary Wiring Web Page

This allows you to have your lights come on when the truck is on, or with the high beams depending on what position the switch is in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That does make sense with the square tubing. That's what I was going to do. Thanks

Yeah probably a bit tall for a hi lift, but the foot hold would be nice. Probably make a tire sling to lift it. And if I need to lift the front but not the tire I'll figure something out lol.. Probably use the side steps I plan to build.

I will be checking out the wiring post as I'm sure it will come in handy wiring many different things.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts