Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never really liked the ranch hand bumper on my e99. And after the factory bumper mounts broke I decided it was time to build a bumper for as much approach angle and clearance as possible. Only got it started and will post more pics as I continue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm using 4"x4"x3/16" wall square tubing(metal store was out of 1/4" wall) and all brackets being made from 1/4" plate for anyone wondering. And any special request pics wanted I'll try to get for ya. questions welcome.

Props to my brother for taking the cell phone pics of me lol.

don't mind that beat to hell a/c condenser! probably ought to straighten them fins.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also if anyone cares to know. I'm using and old power-kraft 295 amp arc welder with E7014 electrodes. oxy/acteylene for cutting purposes. Various 4" grinding/cutting/ sand flapper wheels. And various clamps and such.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Awesome. Excited to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I am also, as I've been wanting to do this for awhile now. I probably wont be able to get back to working on it until tuesday as I work 48hrs on the ambulance today and tomorrow then again on shift monday, getting off tuesday morning.

Also I will try and get a side view shot asap to show how much approach it will have and the snugness to the front. Maybe now she won't look like she is kin to bubba gump lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also whenever the funds and time allows i will be building a rear high clearance bumper that will involve lots of bed trimming to gain as much clearance as possible:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave props to my brother for the camera work but forgot to add he is helping with the project. We are thinking of starting to do some custom stuff as a side gig. So brothers/business partners

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/DagenaisFamily_Farm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150825_143249_zpsk2ut7moj.jpg.html]
[/URL]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't finish what I wanted on the bumper on my days off but I did make a few steps of progress. Had to get some trailer ramps built for my brothers trailer. I made a bit more progress than this pic, just when I get to working I tend to forget to snap pics. when the sun gets up I'll snap a few more and post up where it sits now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had to make sure the stock tow hooks fit. Love those things. That "plate" is a 8" 11.5#foot channel with one flange torched off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More to come as the project progresses. I have some triangular pieces already cut just need to get them welded in. Still trying to decide what kind of grill guard I will do. I'm leaning towards a prerunner kind of style. And need to add some protection on the bottom for the ps cooler. Wish there was a good relocation spot that I wouldn't need new lines bent. Stayed tuned.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also was thinking of running some lightbars under the turn signals but idk cause every douche kid out there has them. Anybody that can photoshop feel free to give me an idea of what it would look like I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the ps cooler relocated. Was a pain in the ass but glad I got it. Still need to make a lower portion to cover bottom of coolers. Also think I've decided on a guard design. Hope y'all enjoy.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I hate to be critical but you've put a lot of effort into this without taking the time to cut straight lines/smooth radius. There are other cutting tools for steel other than the gas axe.
Are you going to fill the space between the bumper and turn signals?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't mind input. The entire thing thus far has been under 1/8" of difference. I don't have a plasma or water jet or other fancy tools yet. All my lines were cut straight and on the front plate the radii still need a little dremel attention as the grinder couldn't get in there very well. you would be more than welcome to come check it out firsthand with any ruler/tape/compass or any other tool of your choosing. I had painted and undercoated the back side of the plate which is the black and gray color difference on the edges.

If you would've read this build up you would know that I'm contemplating running some led light bars under the turns for some nice ditch angled lighting. I am not settled on this yet however as those lights are such a fad on everything, I just love the light output they provide.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I don't have a plasma or water jet either. A cutoff wheel in an angle grinder can make damn clean, straight cuts. A hole saw or step drill can give clean radiuses in a corner, as well as make all of them a consistent size. Hell, a half-round file could have cleaned your corners up. Some bevels where you weld pieces together would keep your welds from sticking out so far from the base material. End caps should be cut to fit inside the tubing with room for the weld.

Not trying to be critical, just giving some fabrication pointers that make a huge difference in the details that make it look professional. I can appreciate the effort you've put into this.

Even if you use some LED light bar a filler panel would clean up the gap between your top tube and the turn signals and yes, I did read what you were considering.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did use cut off wheels but not for 1/4" plate. Weld edges were beveled I am using 7014rods, they are a high deposit rod. AndI'm smoothing my welds down. I still need to smooth the corners with which I'll use a dremel. The pictures with the surface rust and the coating on the back of the front plate make some of the lines appear off. In person I've been getting so many compliments and people interested in having me build them one, which is cool as I am wanting to do this as a side gig and pay for itself. It is even and straight and I'm sure once I have it finished and coated the pictures won't play eye games. As for the end caps I did try and make them fit inside but they wouldn't stay put to weld in. I should've ground more on the forward facing edge of the cap but I didn't want to lose penetration. And there will be some filler between the bumper and signal whether i use a lightbar or not. Still a work in progress. I'm glad someone is actually looking and commenting on this build. I thank any pointers as everyone should always strive to improve. Keep it coming and stay tuned for the final product.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts