Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my 99 f350 compression tested today due to excessive blowby. #5 & #7 cyclinder failed the test. Told mechanic to wait on doing anything else.

I am thinking about pulling the engine and overhauling it myself. What would you guys recommend on replacing as far as stock to aftermarket. Its full OEM with no aftermarket. Under 80k miles on both engine and tranny. Main use is pulling a trailer and daily work vehicle on farms and agriculture sites.

So far what I'm thinking of replacing:

Turbo-Aftermarket???

Trani cooler- Aftermarket

Hpop-Aftermarket (current one is extremely worn out and has been needing to get replaced)

Injectors- Looking at throwing splitshots in it as i have a full set sitting around that I can rebuild. Also have a set of single shots I can rebuild to. Just not sure on route I want to take.

Gauges- aftermarket

Anything else I should definitely look into as far as replacing with either aftermarket or oem while I have the engine on the mount and room to play with.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thought process -- sorry to be so mundane, but it helps to focus. What are your requirements?
Do you want long-term reliability?
Economy?
Muscle?

If it is a working farm truck, I'd go for reliability and economy. Also, why only 120k? Seems awfully low for a 7.3L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought process -- sorry to be so mundane, but it helps to focus. What are your requirements?
Do you want long-term reliability?
Economy?
Muscle?

If it is a working farm truck, I'd go for reliability and economy. Also, why only 120k? Seems awfully low for a 7.3L.
Work truck so reliability. Was a barn find. Widow said if I could get it running I could have it. Got it going enough threw reman injectirs in it, new battery, alternate fuel tank (old one needs drained) and a few other things but excessive blowby (assuming thats why it was parked). It sat covered in a temp controlled shop.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That is really low.. Mileage wise. How bad did #5 and 7 fail? Would they hold any pressure? Cracked pistons come to mind.

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are thinking rings. I told them to pull it and ill come get it. They wanted 12hrs to pull the heads off vs 16 for engine R&I

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Wow. Sounds like someone abused that poor engine.

My thought was - "Any truck I got, I was buying into someone else' problems." So, I rebuilt my engine. I know the who-what-when-where-how all that was done.

With so few miles, you have a better chance that the block, etc, is in good shape. Go with the engine rebuild.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Sounds like someone abused that poor engine.

My thought was - "Any truck I got, I was buying into someone else' problems." So, I rebuilt my engine. I know the who-what-when-where-how all that was done.

With so few miles, you have a better chance that the block, etc, is in good shape. Go with the engine rebuild.
Pretty much what I'm thinking. Pull it and rebuild it. Especially considering they said a R & I is 12 hrs where if they pull the heads etc it'd of been 8 hrs by itself.
Probably going to rebuild the turbo, engine and injectors. Anything else you'd recommend? I'm looking into a different air filter housing as well.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
My personal objective was to repair / upgrade everything inside the engine. The outside stuff can be done later.

Therefore, put off the turbo unless there is evidence it is damaged. Injectors, yes. Don't open the engine twice.

So, since I got my "new" engine in, I have replaced the alternator, the HPOP, and cleaned the tank. All with minimal down time.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm looking into a different air filter housing as well.
Search for Donaldson air filter. Aftermarket oiled air filters let a lot more fine dust through. I have read several threads in which the poster had a prematurely worn out turbo/engine due to the use of an oiled air filter.

Cj

1 - 12 of 12 Posts