Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a 99 f350 7.3 and the other day he was going home and truck just cut off after checking fuses fuse #30 was blown. he replaced it and truck started up and ran fine for a day. he tried to start it yesterday and again #30 was blown he replaced it and as soon as he turned key on it blew again. after reading post on :psn:we started checking things. no wait to start light we disconnected fuel element, checked wire, we also disconnected power wire going to gp relay and still every time we turn key on it blows the fuse. he is going to check the wire again today but is there anything else we should check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the easiest way to check for shorts is to use a old headlight globe get some long wire and connect one side of the globe to one side of the blown fuseholder then connect the other side of the globe with some more wire to the other side of the blown fuse now the light will come on when there is a short and the ignition is on with the globe on the ground and working you can start checking some wiring harnesses and components when the short goes away the globe will get a lot less intense then you will know were there short is.
i hope this helps

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we figured it out. Everything I read said unplug the connector at the bottom if the fuel bowl. We unplugged the top plug and it quit blowing the fuse and starts right up. Guess the element plug is the top one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well we figured it out. Everything I read said unplug the connector at the bottom if the fuel bowl. We unplugged the top plug and it quit blowing the fuse and starts right up. Guess the element plug is the top one.
Had the same problem. it is your fuel bowl heater. They break loose from the bottom of the fuel bowl and short out. I live in Michigan and it has been unplugged for 7 years now with no ill effects. Originally designed to stop fuel from gelling in case you drive from a southern state to a northern state and have fuel without winter anti-gel additives in the fuel. Which I now believe the fuel manufacturers have remedied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts