Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the noise was coming from front of engine, after reading post and listening to some videos on youtube Im pretty sure its the TQ. But, its not a consistent noise, when I 1st start it, it makes noise and then stops and is inter-minted after that, I tried grounding wire in pos 4 in plug and didnt make any diff, I can drop it in to gear and noise still comes and goes, its loud I was afraid to move it from street to drive way, any ideas.

I'm starting to drop transfer-case, cause I pretty confident its the TQ but if anyone has input please let me know.

I don't know all history of truck, Ive had it for a couple years and over heated tranny once towing to lake Tahoe,(puked fluid out converter)(there was a gallon of fluid behind back seat when I bought it so thinking it had happened before)had it towed to campsite. By the time we got there it had cooled off and I was able to back 5th wheel into camp site with my truck. I cleaned crap out between intercoller and rad and helped with over heating problem still had friend drive up to pull my 5th wheel home, and drove truck home with no problems
since ive towed 8-10 times with no problems, especially since I put larger trans cooler in, ford dropped the ball with that little cooler in the 99.

thx

·
Registered
138 Posts
Does it sound anything like this?

Does it go away when you throttle up?

It could be the TC, or it could be a broken flywheel. Either way the trans needs to be dropped. The only way to verify flywheel condition is to remove the mounting plate from it. In most cases, the break is underneath that plate and not visible otherwise. I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it sounds identical to that. its loader with 1st start, and at idle it a little intermittent, but with throttle up and coming back to idle it the same.

thank you for the reply, if this was your truck in video, did you buy new TC or rebuild, a friend suggested I got to a local shop that can rebuild and beef it up some. They rebuilt a TC for a dodge work van I had several years ago and it worked fine.

jeremy
modesto, ca

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, that's my truck. Mine was the flywheel, also had a cracked case. That trans got stolen from by driveway after I'd dropped it but before I could get it repaired, so I'd ended up replacing the trans and TC with a salvage unit. Replaced all that crap and still had the noise. Replaced the flywheel, and I've been good so far. The entire center section had broke loose from the outer part. The noise is basically the inner and outer sections slippind and re-fusing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts