Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced cam sensor with International part. Sometimes the truck runs correctly others it doesn't.

Flat Out the truck is a dog and doesn't make any power til 85 mile an hour about 2300 rpms.

Just changed fuel filter again.

It rattles the gear shift real bad when you lug it when it's not running correctly. When it acts correctly the truck doesn't rattle and boost comes in at 1750 rpms. When it acts up it makes boost whistle but not the same tone as when it's correct. You can hear and feel the surge.

Really sick of this truck.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Might want to post some useful info like miles, things you've done or replaced recently or ever...

Cps' are known to be a trouble part, sometimes finicky.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
99 f250 4x4 6 speed 3.73 gears 104,000

Seems like it slowly progressed to where it is now. Never had any real grunt but I use to be able to take off in first gear not granny. The idle is low and choppy about 550 to 600. Owned truck for 10,000 miles. Changed fuel filters constantly.

Doesn't throw any codes advanced scanner can pick up. Cost 150 bucks to have ford or international hook up to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
do you know anyone who can do a buzz test on each cylinder? my 02 was running really ####ty with no engine light but the buzz test showed 2 cylinder misfires but it was just the plug under the valve cover, think the 99 is different, but i would get a buzz test done and go from there. definitaly doesnt sound good.
now im no mechanic but i would guess you need injectors which is definitely bad luck with just over 100k miles...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well how and where do I get a buzz test? Is that done all on a computer? How much should it cost? I'm figuring it is related to fuel or turbo or timing. Just because the turbo isn't coming in correctly.

But since the truck only run's correctly on first start up cold. Could also be that pesky bypass valve on the exhaust. I know it's a good truck just something is screw balled.

Been quoted 75 bucks to cut the cat off. If I'm gonna spend that might as well go with a 4 inch. But I don't wanna keep this truck just get it prim and proper. Don't like selling problems to people.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i know someone who is a mechanic and has the big snap on computer. you can probably go to any shop and ask if they can do a buzz test and itll either cost nothing or an hour labor just to do that. but if the shop doesnt work on diesel trucks i wouldnt have them go any further then that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You need to get the engine scanned for starters. If it is runing rough, its possible to have valve cover harness issues.

·
super tuner
164 Posts
take the oil fill cap off and take a sniff, if it smells like burnt wiring then you need a UVC harness(es), your in the territory for burnt UVC harness at 100k so check it out...you dont need to pay someone to do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
does the 99 even have the valve cover wiring harness? well early or late 99? i thought that was the only different harness? that happened on my 02 and it was loose.

like i said and what blue99sd said, you need it to get scanned, aka buzz test and see if you have a cylinder "misfire" or bad injectors...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.