Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
PR
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to move my '99 7.3 about 10 feet this morning. It was above 50 degrees so I tried to start it without waiting for the glow plugs. About 6 seconds into the turnover, it went electrically dead in the engine and dash. The headlights and horn work. I checked the fuses in the cab and under the hood, they were fine, but I don't have a book to tell me specifically which fuse is tied to the start or dash systems.
The batteries are 1 year old and show fully charged.

Any ideas how to get some life back in this brick? (It is a reasonable young truck with only 120,000 miles.)

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
The first thing to do is to check the batteries. Just because the lights and horn works doesn't mean that there is enough amps left in the battery to crank the engine over.

·
PR
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did seem to be a bit down in strength from last month, but by the same token, however, the dash lights and fan should come on in any case. I did mess with the fuses a few minutes ago and the dash came alive. But it all went dead again with the turn of the key.

I appreciate your input, because I never thought to put a charger on it, but thought I fried the PCM and went into my fetal position. I am going to go out and put my 200 amp charger on it and see if that vitalized it. If it does, I might name it Frankenstein.

·
PR
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bugman, you are correct Sir!! Two minutes of 80 amps brought the whole rig to life. I am now figuring that two new batteries to still be less money than a used PCM, but at least at this point I can go on with my day. That you for giving me direction.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
If you let your truck sit for extended periods of time you might want to look into a battery maintainer. You would only need one of them but you would need to be in a location where you could plug the truck in while it is sitting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts