Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started up my 7.3 tonight. As it was turning over it acted like a brief hydrolock then kept turning over and started. Right away I noticed a miss. It also started smoking. It never smoked before, even cold.
I drained fuel filter. That didn't help. I am thinking injector, would like opinions on this subject. Engine has 280k on it, do not know if injectors have ever been changed as I am second hand owner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is your degas bottle level going down? Hydrolocking on startup and white smoke could be a head gasket leak

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's blue smoke, smells bad of unburnt fuel while running. will check water level though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the fluid level, it's okay. I took the oiler filler cap off and started the motor, it now has bad blowby.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's not good... could be a set of blown rings. If you haven't driven far you may still be able to save the motor (IE just rings and a piston), but that is an if (maybe even a big IF).. either way I'd say you're probably pulling the engine. Keep us posted.

Cj

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only drove it about half a mile, will have to wait til tomorrow to get it to a doctor. That is why I posted to maybe get a heads up on what might be wrong. will try to keep you all posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a hole in piston due to injector. fuel leak, hydrolock, broke the piston. At this rate looking at replacing the motor. Any recomendations for a reliable replacement that won't break the bank? leaning toward a rebuilt if I can find one that they don't want my next unborn child for it. I am in a camp ground so having mine overhauled is not an option. Not enough time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Define "break the bank?" I'm not sure there is a good option that is cheap and quick at the same time. On one hand you could search for a running engine out of a wrecked truck - might be the cheaper option. A re-manufactured engine is not likely to come in under $6000 I would think. Good luck!

Cj

1 - 9 of 9 Posts