Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 7.3 f250 4x4 with a manual tranny that i bought recently and it has been getting pretty bad mpg compared to all the other people saying they get close to 20. Right now my overhead consol says i've averaging 10.8 mpg so i changed the fuel filter, ICP sensor and clean the EBPV tube and sensor. But my mpg haven't changed. If you think you might know something that will help let me know

·
Native Texan
9,024 Posts
Well what upgrades have been done. Have you checked it manually. Those dash reading are not always accurate. The other thing is the condition of your engine ie injectors oil system fuel system and intake ie turbo air filter and intercooler. Exhaust is another big factor as leaks before the turbo affect the performance and fuel as do restriction after the turbo. If exhaust is not flowing thru turbo properly then no boost no boost no power no power no fuel economy. The other thing is how you drive it. Ur not going to get 20 if you drive it like you stole it all the time. So more info on your truck is a must. Second manually figure ur fuel economy and see what u are actually getting. Third start up a thread in the 99 and up section for more help. Plus :welcome: to the nation.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
welcome to PSN.
as said, the overhead is not very accurate.
it is always best to hand calculate fuel mileage.
and plan on seeing between 12-14 around town driving, 14-16 highway driving.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,836 Posts
x2! & i don't know if i've ever heard of a 4x4 7.3 getting 20mpg, certainly possible i guess... usually the 2wds with 3.73s or 3.55s are the ones getting close to 20. not sure if 3.55s were available on 99+ 7.3s

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
^^^what he said^^^
maybe possible to get 20 MPG with a 2 wheel drive that has tall gears and high pressure inflated tires with cruise control set at 55-60 MPH, but no way with a 4X4 with 4.10 gears.

·
Native Texan
9,024 Posts
I got 18 once going to Texas pulling a camper but most of the time it was around 16 I got out of my dually. I'm hoping for 17 18 out of my truck with the auto.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I made 18 mpg in my 4 door 97 with 4.10 and a zf5 on a 160 mile round trip unloaded LOL
So yeah its not very common, driving around the mountains usually hauling towing I get about 10-14

1 - 8 of 8 Posts