Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out whats going on with my trans without spending a load of money. back story: trans was toasted Oct 2012 in the mountains (heat) sat until march 2013 when i bought a monster in a box kit and an atsg manual and rebuilt it myself. wasnt that bad...so i thought but i did screw up a little. when i put the coast clutch in it was not in the splines properly(didn't know at the time).. trans lasted 3 months until i had to drive home in second gear one night. tore trans back out and i found coast clutch plus my overdrive snap ring came off (didn't know they were weak until after replacing with double looping one). in addition to this at some point i realized the solenoid pack i got with my rebuild was no good. it was slipping torque converter in OD. i put my original one in and slip went away. so after fixing my overdrive and coast clutch (put new frictions in and cleared all debris with a complete fluid flush) my trans was doing great. back in december it got real cold for here (18degrees) and the solenoid pack symptoms came back. i ordered a rebuilt solenoid pack and put it in. problem is still there. i have a tc lockup switch and i can feel it lock in gear but there is still slip. i thought if u engage tc switch in park that it would kill the engine, mine doesnt. and there is no lock when in reverse. also sometime when i first try to take off in the morning it acts like it has to reprime my pump.. like the fluid has leaked back. wednesday i have a sonnax bypass valve kit im installing but i dont think it will fix this issue..... any thoughts. i plan to go to a trans shop for a line pressure test but that is weeks away for me.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
i thought if u engage tc switch in park that it would kill the engine, mine doesnt.
No, it should NOT stall the engine when locking in park. It should make no difference at all if you lock in park. Nothing happens. If you lock in any forward gear when not moving it should stall the engine, if you are holding the brake hard enough.

and there is no lock when in reverse.
I think there is a hydraulic lockout that prevents lockup in reverse.

also sometime when i first try to take off in the morning it acts like it has to reprime my pump.. like the fluid has leaked back.
That can happen. There is a check valve that is supposed to prevent this. Yours may have a piece of debris holding it open.

Before starting the truck after sitting overnight check the trans fluid level. Do this with the engine off. If it is WAY overfilled then the torque converter has drained back into the pan.

wednesday i have a sonnax bypass valve kit im installing but i dont think it will fix this issue..... any thoughts.
My thoughts are that you're right, that won't fix it.

i plan to go to a trans shop for a line pressure test but that is weeks away for me.
I don't think a line pressure test will show anything useful.

You may have a stuck torque converter clutch control valve. That would keep it from locking up. A good trans shop should be able to diagnose this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does not stall engine in gear... when rpm gets to arond 700 it seems to unlock. You were right my fluid was way overfull this morning. Must be a valve in the pump hence gravity? Do you think this may have any relation to my torque converter not holding a lockup?. Also forgot to mention i did put in a new triple disc converter from hughes something rather was ($300with a 1yr warranty) when my overdrive spring came apart.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
I don't remember where the drainback valve is located. It's been a long time. I think it is in the pump body. That has nothing to do with no lockup. Once the engine has been running about a minute the converter will be totally filled.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed my cooler bypass valve today. Was definitely leaking. I could blow through it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Want to start by saying thank you so much for your help Mark. On the way home tonight it was 34 degrees. My lockup was 50% better. Still had some slip but i could at least hold gear on flat ground not slipping. I was in the valve body the other day and i checked for play in the tc lockup valve but it seemed ok. Don't know how to test it. Im leaning towards the converter clutch control valve in the pump leaking... thoughts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts