Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day.

I have been having a baffling problem, I like to think I know a lot about the perfect diesel engine, the 97 7.3

But I have a problem that is baffling me. Earlier in the week my turbo that I knew was on its last legs because It has been running up to a Max boost of 38 psi with the setup I have going on, blew up the exhaust turbine broke off. I towed it in and replaced it only to get it all back together and drive 8 miles away and never the truck shut off dead like the ignition was turned off. Since then I have replaced the IPR, ICP,fuel pump and cam sensor. It will start up and run anywhere between 2 and 12 minutes and then shut off and won't start again until the next morning when everything is at its coldest. Then it will start up again it has a slight miss when it runs now until it shuts off. After it shuts off when I crank it the tach does go to about 200 and it does not smoke at all or even slightly attempt to start. The next morning it will start up for it's 2 to 12 minutes a day. Does anybody have any idea. I won't be able to trust​driving it again unless I find something actually wrong. It is a 8700 pound f350 crew cab that's really expensive to get towed. Thank you.

Mark

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
What mods are there to the truck? CEL on? If it has a chip, physically remove it. How is the oil level? Does it use any oil? You may need to look at the base of the injectors while it runs to see if oil leaks out around the base, indicating a failed top o-ring. Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok it cranks cold at 500 psi hpop pressure. I hooked hose back up to head and started truck and it ran for about 4 or 5 minutes then shut off. so I unhooked the hose up and back to me gauge and it cranked at just a little over 200 psi. whats the astronomical chances that 2 majorish breakdowns happened within 10 miles of each other. a turbo and a hpop pump. I built over sized injectors 30% over sized nozels, 160 cc intensifiers, last year. turbo upgrades 4 inch intake 3 inch down pipe to 5 inch back to twin 5 inch stacks 80 hp edge tune which I flashed back to stock.

mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts