Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 T444E with 7.3. I had oil in coolant issue so I changed the oil cooler. In the process I broke the timing cover, si had had to change that also. Everything was changed with new parts except HPOP. I got all that fixed then it overheated quickly. I saw oil coming out of passenger head exhaust ports so I pulled the head and had it tested and serviced. Changed the injector cups and new o rings on injectors. Put it all back together and now the coolant system is getting pressure in it. I did a combustion gas test several times this weekend and it passes. Every time. Where else could this pressure be coming from.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Is there oil or fuel in the coolant system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No I got all the oil out. All this has happened this week. I got the head done Friday evening. Had to change the oil before start up. I still had some oil in there this morning so I spent all day flushing the system. I got all the oil out today that’s when I found the pressure still in the system. I thought it was overheating cause the temp gauge said 220 but the water temperature was 203.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,489 Posts
You sure there's not just an air bubble in the cooling system? That's what i would try to resolve first

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve had air in systems before but it’s just hard to believe that much air would be in it even after bleeding the air through the heater core

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the combustion temp coming out of each cylinder. This is what I got.
FAN
2-179 1-220
4-230. 3-228
6-215. 5-219
8-207. 7-183
Water temperature 176

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,489 Posts
Have you checked for a blocked/stuck t-stat?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I would lean towards a plugged radiator.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve had air in systems before but it’s just hard to believe that much air would be in it even after bleeding the air through the heater core
I've had injector bolts come loose and the end result was the pressurized coolant system with the failed combustion gas test. My pre trip inspection now includes warming up and checking my defrosters for heat. No heat and I check for pressure. So, all that to say I've seen first hand that these engines take a ton of bleeding to get rid of the air pocket. I repeatedly had to remove the heater hose and top off the degas bottle to finally get it flowing right. Took so much to get it done I was really worried that I would be tearing it apart again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Make sure you have the correct t-stat. IH t444e water pumps could have two different model/temps/seal. The 94-97 water pumps are a different t-stat, and the 1999-2003 pumps are different yet again.

T444e t-stats are short. The 180 degree has thick seal, the 192 has thinner seal.

I could go into this way deeper, i will just relay that our 1997 is one of the first documented swaps to use the IH cast iron pump with integral filter. Documented on the diesel stop forums before the name changed to the diesel stop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also should mention the chance for cavitation pin holes in the cylinders. This is the reasons for the recommendation to run SCA (special coolant additive) in our cooling systems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts