Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else run into this issue?

these intakes are so bad they have knife edges on them and nearly .140 recessed PAST where they are supposed to be

when we pulled the valves the bevel of the valves is gone and turned into a bowl with a VERY sharp edge on them.... every intake valve is like this, exhaust seem perfectly fine and even within spec

Truck has 74k miles on it, yes 74k NOT 474k as you might think with this kind of wear. Cylinders and pistons look perfectly fine.

WTF over.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That is odd.......
Are you sure it's never been apart before? As in maybe someone put the wrong intake valves in? Or ground the valves wrong?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is odd.......
Are you sure it's never been apart before? As in maybe someone put the wrong intake valves in? Or ground the valves wrong?

no im not sure, there is grey Permatex silicon on the intakes and oil pan, but no gaskets or sealant on the exhaust manifolds, and the head gasket numbers are OEM gaskets, not Mahle, VR or felpro… that's what rather confusing about all of this...

valve guides are badly worn out as well, but that's to be expected with seat pressures only being about 45lbs closed with this degree of wear, the valves are going to oscillate without enough pressure thus wearing the guides

the intake valves are correct numbers, the seats are still usuable which is weird... I would have expected them to be trashed, they just need to be touched up and lapped in with the new ones

btw, does anyone have pictures of cylinder walls/pistons from a sever dustdown? im somewhat suspicious maybe that's behind this, but I don't seem to show any wear on walls or piston crown

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Sorry no pics here, but can you see the crosshatch in the cylinder walls? The ones I've encountered that were dusted the walls had tracks up the sides as if they were polished with sand paper, and no visible crosshatch.

Is the turbo new? If not does it show signs of dirt?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry no pics here, but can you see the crosshatch in the cylinder walls? The ones I've encountered that were dusted the walls had tracks up the sides as if they were polished with sand paper, and no visible crosshatch.

Is the turbo new? If not does it show signs of dirt?

sorry, working weird hours right now

i'll have pictures of the valves later today

the turbo has been dusted for sure, not horribly, but you can see it

the cylinder walls don't show tracks or cross hatch, so take what you will from that, cant really take pictures / work in the dark lol, neighbours seem to not like hearing mechanic noise at 3 in the morning lololol

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
sorry, working weird hours right now

i'll have pictures of the valves later today

the turbo has been dusted for sure, not horribly, but you can see it

the cylinder walls don't show tracks or cross hatch, so take what you will from that, cant really take pictures / work in the dark lol, neighbours seem to not like hearing mechanic noise at 3 in the morning lololol
Neighbors with no sense of humor eh? Lol

I'm starting to get on board with the theory that it's been sanded with that information. Any ideas about it's previous life?

And no worries, I think we all kinda keep odd hours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go figure... net is down at the house... picked up the valves today and got some good pics... I'll let them speak for themselves

Uhhh auto resize on the phone apparently shrank them so bad you cant make out the details...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well after the last week of chaos im back with updates

the exhaust valves are picture perfect

there is some damage to the cylinder walls, but very light, its barely enough to see at high-offset lighting, some crosshatching is still even there

and the guy doing my heads... if he didn't have a building full of trophies and the fastest mustang in Arkansas I wouldn't have tried what he told me to do

he asked how I was cleaning up the old head gasket material... WD40 and scotch pad like everyone else right? pfffffft… throw that back in the kitchen man... get the biggest wood chisel... HARDENED STEEL SHARPER THAN A RAZOR... and a fine tool file

DO WHAT?!

so he takes me outside to a messed up engine, we pull the heads, and he proceeds to let me try this out... and OMG... you barely even have to clean up afterwords…. I was speechless... now there is no way in hell I would try this, but he so comfortable with this method he even uses it on freakin Brodix race blocks... as in all aluminum blocks.... no way man... no way

BUT... its basically one wipe and it's spotless other than discoloration of the metal... ive been doing it all wrong... this took like 5 mins and the hardest part is right around the dowels because they can ding your chisel... you have to sharpen once for each side, and that takes longer than the actual scraping... but man can you get these things SHARP... im serious about the sharper than my razor...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
forgot these, as far as the lip of the piston on the cylinder liner, there is a lip you can feel with your fingernail, but not your finger... so im going to cross my fingers and hope the rings are fine and start putting things back together once I get the heads back

also... is there a better way to put the images on here or it the only way to use 3rd party hosting? cuz the quality of these pics hosted to PSN is like total 1990s

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could "possibly" some how at the manufacturing plant the wrong valves were installed during production?
That's a lot of wear (dusting) for 74K.
Is your air filter in good condition?
Do you drive through a lot of dust (gravel / dirt roads / etc.?

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
A chisel will work fine, just be careful if it's aluminum. I prefer razer blades. But I occasionally use a chisel. One time I got it so sharp I was peeling the skin off a peach.

Not sure what the file is for.

This definitely looks like the wrong air filter was used. Not uncommon at all. Last winter I saw a little ricer car with a blown engine because the kid used one of those filters pointed right down in the wheel well. Guess he thought he needs more ram air effect, so he cut a hole in the fender liner. Well, it sucked a bunch of slushy water straight into the intake and f*cked something up. Don't know what because we never tore the engine down, just replace it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
been really busy at work... so I started cleaning the engine up, got to cylinder 7... MASSIVE lip in the bore, 20-25 thousands at a forward angle... soooooooooooooooo hauled the dead weight truck across town to my shop and slowly worked it inside and starting to tear it down in prep for pulling the engine

gonna pull it, sleeve all 8 and replace the clutch/flywheel while in there
I just hope there are no major surprises inside the engine... like a bent rod... I don't need an excuse to toss a set of olivers in there >.<

also found the radiator was half full of mud from previous owner, I've put 4k miles on the truck and it never once ran warm or even got mildly warm even in 110 Arkansas heat and 90% humidity... lets hear it for that massive mechanical fan lolol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts