Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 97 F350 CC, PSD. Took it to my mechanic to diagnose the clank in 4x4 the PO told me out. Well the ball and socket deal that the ujoints hook into on the front driveline is fubared (mech got under and said "OH ****) and I got scared. Anyway, I need this piece not sure of the name (CV joint comes to mind...) and need help finding out where I can get one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
the Yoke?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No its not that. Its the double cardan joint, I am waiting on my mech to source parts as he can find them good from junkyards, and if that isn't very cheap I'm just gonna buy a brand new one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I understand correctly it would be a ball and socket/spring type setup that comes in the rebuild kit? What would I need to do it? I did ujoints on my 84 Ford F250 with just a couple sockets and a vise. This particular style looks like a sumbitch to get after. Everywhere I've read said that it sucks to replace.

·
ate lug
172 Posts
Yeah, thats it. Youve got to remove both ujoints to do it, and then it will pretty much come apart in your hand. Think of the dshaft as 3 pieces- the shaft, the cardan, and a yoke. The yoke connects ujoint #1 to the cardan, and ujoint #2 connects the cardan to the shaft. The yoke passes thru the middle of the cardan, and pivots on that center ball, which is installed on a stud sticking out of the end of the shaft.

Soo.....remove both ujoints, and it will all come apart. install spring inside small machined stud on end of shaft. then install new center ball, and retaining seal. Then, IIRC, you have to install ujoint #2 first, i always forget which one goes first.

In this pic you see a stripped shaft from the last time i did this. That stud is where the spring & center ball go. Spring goes inside the stud, ball goes over top. There is a ring, i wanna say 1/2" tall by maybe 3/32" thick, that fits over that small step (tap in place with hammer), and that is what holds the ball in place. Then you install the seal over top of that ring. I dont remember if the rebuild kit comes with the ring or not, i just reused the ring from the j-yard shaft since i lost mine when the shaft exploded.

You dont need any special tools to do the job, altho i use a balljoint tool to press ujoints in/out instead of a vice. Same principle though.

Hopefully i explained that clearly LOL

Attachments

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Anyone have a write up on how do do this. reptillikus, you are the 1st person I heard say it is an easy job. Everyone else says they are Super PITA

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have a write up on how do do this. reptillikus, you are the 1st person I heard say it is an easy job. Everyone else says they are Super PITA
Yeah +1.

My mech can get a used driveline for about $150. I found rebuild kits, and I called a drive line shop they wanted $120-$170 to rebuild mine. If its simple I'll just rebuild it my self.

·
ate lug
172 Posts
Around here, you can get used driveshafts at junkyards all day for under $75. I think that last double cardan shaft i got only cost me $40.

Do any of you have the Helm Ford Service Manuals? The procedure is laid out in both my 88 & 96 books.

I think the worst part about the job, is that by the time it gets done, everything is so old its all corroded/rusted together, and nothing wants to come apart. Its like taking the spindle off your D50/60- the first time its a major PITA cuz its rusted in place, but the second time it sliips right off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts