Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

new to this forum, and first time having issues with one of my diesels. It's a 97 F250 PSD. Pretty much stock except exhaust and intake. Previous owner told me he changed the IDM at one point. It looks pretty new.

Several weeks ago I was driving my truck pretty lightly. Came to a stop sign and the motor seemed like it wanted to die. I pressed the pedal and it picked right back up. Then a minute later when letting off the accelerator it died. It would crank but not start. I also noticed no smoke coming from the pipe at the time.

after some research, I changed the CPS and it fire right up and got me home.

Next day, I drove it hard on the highway for 30 min or so. as soon as I left off the pedal it died. Couldn't get it to start for the life of me. Had to get it towed to a shop. Tow truck driver called me and said he drove it right off the flat bed, which means it started for him after cooling for 1 hour.

The shop told me I needed a new HPOP, the old one wasn't pushing enough oil. They also changed the injector o-rings, IPS, etc.

This should have fixed it. Nope, truck wanted to die whenever I let off the accelerator. I made it home somehow while keeping RPMs high to keep her running. The shop changed out the IPR valve (again?)

Today I parked at the gas station and kept her idling while I went in. As soon as I got in and put it in D and hit the accelerator, she died again. This time I just let her cool for 10 min and she fired right back up.

Everything I've read sounds like an IPR, but it was changed as part of the HPOP replacement, then again a 2nd time.

I am pulling my hair out on this thing! Supposedly all injectors passed the tests. I don't know what else it could be.

I am in Virginia - its been pretty cool here every time it has happened

·
PSN intsigator
6,118 Posts
There is an ICP sensor on the front right side of the left head it has 3 wires and reads Injection Control Pressure, basically what your hpop is putting out. Unplug it and see what happens. The computer should start reading from a default setting.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Sounds like HP oil system leak somewhere. Can you get it scanned for codes? When engine is cold and oil is thick it’ll fire and run, once to op temps oil is leaking. Off top of my head I’d say IPR, injection pressure regulator is not working but as you’ve changed that twice perhaps not. Make sure you check the wiring harness and plug at back of IPR. Harness wire insulation and plug can degrade overtime and short out or intermittent short.

You need minimum 500 psi to fire injector (oil pressure)

Cheers,

j

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Try unplugging it next time it dies? Or when it's still running well ?
I’d unplug fire it up and bring to op temps and see if it runs better. The ICP senses HP oil pressure and sends signal back to the power control module. The PCM monitors high pressure oil and based on demand and other parameters will either provide more (oil pressure) or bleeds it off via the injection pressure regulator (IPR). By unplugging the ICP the PCM will revert to a limp mode and if truck runs ok while ICP is unplugged you may have a faulty ICP or harness.

j

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks! Yeah I am temped to change the IPR a third time considering I've heard of people having such issues with them. I can get a Ford OEM IPR for ~$155. But before I do that I am going to go over all of the wiring to the ICP and IPR.

I can't keep taking this thing to the shop... I'll need to figure out how to take the IPR off myself too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
\Can you get it scanned for codes? \
The shop scanned for codes. Nothing.

But when he hooked the scanner up, he found that the Intake Air Temperature sensor was deleted (by previous owner). It has been gone for a long time and the truck ran fine. I don't think that should cause these issues.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Nope. What was the IPR duty cycle showing?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
79jasper, I don't know. I didn't get the readings from the scanner. I'd like to find a scanner that works... I had a cheap one off Amazon and it did pretty much nothing.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Ae, torque, forscan, car gauge pro, etc....

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
What adapter did you use?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Um.... no wonder it didn't work....

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Sure. Or something better than a 5 dollar adapter.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
If you're going to use a PC, get the $20-ish USB ELM327 device from Amazon and the FREE Forscan app.
I agree. The FORScan app took me a little while to figure out, mostly because I couldn't get it to link with my ELM327. Once I figured that out by playing with the settings (i think it was confused with my bluetooth radio) it is awesome. Used it to diagnose a CPS issue in my buddies truck and get some cool active data logging for no reason (yet)

Did the PCM test, but I'm scared to try a buzz test or anything like that because my truck runs great and I don't want to screw anything up LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts