Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this truck a little over a week ago and have been working the bugs out of it. This is my first diesel powered truck so there's a lot of stuff I don't know. So here's my question... when I turn the key everything appears to be fine, no check engine light, the wait to start light comes on for a few seconds... It all seems good. When I crank her over it takes a good THREE seconds before she fires... Is this normal? I'm just kind of worried about what will happen when it gets cold out... My gp relay checks out fine... So its not that... Any ideas? Hey if its normal than just tell me to stfu, and we can all carry on forgetting I even asked... Sometimes I'm a bit anal... But she does run great! Can't complain about that... She just takes her time gettin out of bed. Oh BTW... It will do the same thing even when it been warmed up and then restarted...

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
stfu.....lol

When I was on the mechanical fuel pump mine would have to turn over a few times before cranking. I don't think you are experiencing anything abnormal.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Could be a worn starter...

My OBS starts right up every time unless it's under 30* outside... Then you have to expect a little crank time...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Normal

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Three or four TURNS (maybe one second) is normal. Three full SECONDS is NOT. Think about how long a second is.

Have you measured the resistance of the glow plugs themselves? Inspected the wiring to the valve covers?

Once it starts, does the voltmeter stay left-of-center for a minute or two, and then swing to the right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't messes with the glow plugs at all... But would the glow plugs being bad, still have an affect if it does the same thing when warm? And three seconds is a pretty long time...

·
Freddie
33 Posts
Mine does that madpogue, once I start it the volt meter stays left of center for about a minute, what causes that?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine does that madpogue, once I start it the volt meter stays left of center for about a minute, what causes that?
The glow plugs are still burning. That is normal when it's cold out. They will burn for 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. When it's real cold out, the WRS light will go out after about 30 seconds or so. What I like to do is wait another 10 seconds before cranking. It lets the GP's warm the heads up a little more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've waited until I heard the relay kick out... Which is about 2min.. cranked it over and it still takes about 3 seconds of cranking before it starts...

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If it's doing it on a warm/hot engine (sorry, missed that the first time), it's not likely the GPs at all. What does it do when (if you've tried this) you run it up to temperature, turn it off, and then try to start it again within just a few seconds? I'm thinking maybe HPOP reservoir and/or fuel bowl is leaking down while it's parked.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd say check your fuel pressure. Or possibly injector o-rings are bad so it's not building enough high pressure oil fast enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts