Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats up, I got a problem with this damn truck that I've been fighting for the past 2 years. It's a 97 OBS 7.3 with a built E4OD. Truck has 165k miles on it. Bought truck with 144k miles 11/09. Problem is truck has no power on take off and doesnt get up and go until RPM is at 2k and up. Engine takes forever and a day to accellerate from a stop, ####ty throttle responce. EBV is open and disconnected. Parts replaced 3k miles ago to fix problem are as follows: New from ford fuel lift pump, new Adrelaline HPOP, new from ford ICP and IPR and harness. new from ford all 8 injector o-ring kits. (swapped out AA injectros for a know good set of AB injectors with new orings, make more power but still have problem) new fuel filter and oil change. Been running Edge Evo CS since 11/2010. Truck sees 24psi max boost around 3400RPM. Swapped in original AA's with new o-rings back in still no power, swapped back in AB's with another set of new o-rings power back at high RPM but still no balls on take off. Now getting cylinder contribution codes for cylinders 2 5 6 7. Fuel pressure is good and pulsates from 60-90psi. Could the injectors be clogged or something or what the hell else and I missing here? Any help would be F'in awsome lol. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is is possible you just have a female truck? Just kidding.

I'm not sure about the Edge Evolution. I have a 6 position chip with Tony Wildman tunes and love the throttle response. It is, by no means, a racer, but it is fun to drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When you take off is it doggy for a little bit and then take off and run right? Try putting the truck in 4 wheel drive and power brake the engine a little. See what kind of boost and rpms you can make while power braking it. I had what sounds like the same problem a few years ago and mu sprag was broke in my torque convertor. If I remember correctly if the sprag is broke the engine will not build over 1400-1500 rpms while power braking it.

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does sound like a female truck LOL. Chris, I also built the trans with a new P/I converter from BTS 3k miles ago when I did all that other stuff too. I've had this problem since I bought it back in 11/2009 and it was completely stock then. Kinda feels like a 6.0L where those got no power on take off in stock form too. My 96 PSD would run circles around this truck but that one is totaled, that's where I got the AB injectors from too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My truck has the same dang problem but idk where to start trouble shootin

·
Do you smell something?
641 Posts
um... start here....cylinders 2 5 6 7

run a buzz test and make sure that all the injectors are actually firing, not just sounding like they are... the idm will still make noise. I have seen trucks firing all 8 injectors, new idm and all is well again. they should all be loud.... check all your harness conections, make sure they are good...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think its the idm cause I swapped that out from my 96 as well back when the truck was stock and that didn't help. I did do the buzz test and they all sound the loud and the same accross the board. Funny thing about the contribution test though, when I did that test with the AB injectors in 3k miles ago before I rebuilt the trans I only had cylinder 6 fail. Now after doing the other work and trans, then swapping the AA's back in and then swapping the AB's backin in now I'm getting cylinders 2 5 6 7 fail. Number 6 has a new injector in it to. UVC wire harnesses have been done too and no change.

·
Registered
182 Posts
These OBS's stock have no balls on take off even when they are running ok! My TS switch definitely helped it some though.

·
Bushwacker
269 Posts
sounds like somethings really bumming your s*** have you monitored your Injection Pressure? did you replace the IPR when you put the adrenaline in? I would definitely make sure those fail codes go away before going further.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
overboost you are correct to a point, the federal trucks are the ones that have no power as you say, the cali trucks have way more power at take off because they have the AB injectors instead of the smaller AA's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like somethings really bumming your s*** have you monitored your Injection Pressure? did you replace the IPR when you put the adrenaline in? I would definitely make sure those fail codes go away before going further.
yes I replaced the IPR with a new one from ford along with the wire harness when I did adrenaline pump. I have repeatedly checked and those fail codes dont go away. I have not yet monitored my injector pressure yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It doesn't matter that you just installed a new convertor did you check to see if would build boost and rpm like i was talking about?

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I still have my front drive shaft out cause i gotta replace the flange on the t-case so I can't torque it out too much before the tires start to breake loose. It does feel doggy anything under 2kRPM's but starts to build boost around 1500RPM while at WOT and hits 4-5psi at 2kRPM before the tires breake loose.

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
sounds like a bad exhaust leak or a bad turbo to me....

crawl underneath that thing with a good light and look for leaks, paying close attention to the exhaust manifold ports, and the uppipe connections....
and take your intake side off and grab the wheel shaft on the turbo and see how much movement you have ....if it's loose at all, (up & down, and back & forth), or the wheel itself is dinged up, you need fix...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's a negative on the exhaust leak and there is not play or damage to the turbo or wheel. I'm gonna pull out those 4 injectors tomorrow and check the orings again and check the injector cups for contamination of "old" o-rings.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Have you checked the fuel peddle reostat voltage output at WOT (key on engine off)? Do a search on power peddle mod.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Do you still have the old truck that the ABs came out of? If so, install the ABs and also the old truck's PCM since it is set up to use the AB splitshot injectors. The AAs are singleshot and the PCM has different tuning.

The 1996 California DPC-202 PCM is a direct plug-in for the Federal DPC-202 PCM but has splitshot tuning. (If both trucks have the same transmission).

·
Workin for a livin....
5 Posts
Im currently having the same issue. i bought mine as a mutant. its a 95 f-super duty tow truck. the engine has a ford factory reman label on the valve cover. it didnt run when i got it. and found no fuel pressure.. found cam had no lobe for the manual fuel pump. someone had spent some serious cash for a new engine and got the wrong year(2003 engine has no cam lobe for manual fuel pump). instead of replacing the cam i did a custom electric fuel conversion, and got the engine to start. it was very boggy and wouldnt tac above 3000. but it idled very smooth. the fuel pressure is set at 55psi ,i replaced the turbo, removed the cat, and the only difference i noticed was i could hear the turbo wind up now. replaced the ipr o rings. The only thing that made a difference was unplugging the map sensor. after i unplugged the electrical part of the map sensor it ran like a raped ape. incredible power. so i replaced the map sensor, no change, swapped the computer , no change. only time it runs good is with the map sensor unplugged. any more ideas or suggestions?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts