Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrite my brothers got a 96 f250 7.3 and it won't start, I don't think it's getting any fuel because it doesn't smoke at all when cranking But it's getting fuel to the bowl so it's not the pump? We changed the cps and fuel filter I'm thinking high pressure oil butno real way to tell my buddy is gonna get a scanner on Monday but I figured I would ask here and see if aanyone had any ideas

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) on? Does the Wait-to-Start light come on? Is there tach movement when cranking? It won't smoke at all regardless of fuel pressure if the PCM isn't telling the injectors to actuate (it needs to see sufficient HP oil pressure to do so ... and a functioning IDM to name a couple of items). Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait to start light does come on tach works no chech engine light

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
is the #22 fuse blown? shorted fuel heater will kill em dead and no start

·
Registered
322 Posts
Take a look at the ICP sensor. Unplug it and see if there is oil leaking through the sensor into the wiring harness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#22 is good and no oil in the wire harness it does'nt even sputter if you soot it with starting fluid

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Confirmed continuity on #22 or just looked at it?

Ether will make any diesel with compression try to light. Just be sure to have the GPs unplugged if using ether...

Have you done anything else besides whats in the first part of this note? Although a good scanner will provide a lot of this info, here's some suggestions for this to try in meantime...

Fuel pump--Have you drained the bowl then cranked it to see if it will fill? If so, we could eliminate the pump's function for the moment. The pump pulls through the bowl, then thru the pump and to the back of the heads.

Injector electrical/IDM-- A buzz test will tell for sure, but you could pull the valve covers and confirm if they are pumping oil (sending elect signal to injs). If they are pumping oil, they are pumping fuel if the fuel is thru the pump

HP Oil; Got oil in the hp oil reservoir? it should be 1/2" or so from the top. If you have an hyd oil pressure gauge, you could tap into a rail pressure port and verify that you have hp oil pressure going to the heads while cranking. You need 500 to start it.

Batteries; youre beating on them right now, so they better be very good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got to mess with it a little tonight thehigh pressure oil res is draining any idea what's leaking a check valve or gasket or something? Thanks for your help by the way

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Draining when cranking or draining just sitting there? Cheers!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
yes, there are check balls, etc but if the reservoir is draining, look to the IPR first. It is the 'door' for the oil moving from the reservoir to the injector rails, or, the drain.

Some awesome reading here about HP oil system troubleshooting...

HPOP Manual - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its draining while cranking but it does drain from sitting just not as fast. would the IPR cause that or the check valve be more likely problem?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
The check valve could cause draining while sitting, but since yours is a 97 the standpipe should take care of that. The IPR, lack of power to the IPR, and internal HP system leaks can cause the draindown while cranking. Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the truck is a 96, is there a difference in the years?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also it is running back into the oil pan, cause we filled the hpop res and cranked it and the res was almost empty and the dipstick read about a quart overfull

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I know you're not getting any codes, but the following checks are good to make to check the wiring for the IPR (in addition to doing a good visual inspection of the fuel bowl wiring harness (which includes IPR wiring) as diesel fuel can do a number on it). You don't need a breakout box, only the PCM connector pinout diagram so you can check from pin to pin.

X1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) 1283: CHECK POWER FEED

DTC 1283 indicates an IPR circuit failure was detected by the PCM.

Key off. Remove IPR harness connector. Remove PCM relay. Measure resistance from IPR connector Pin A to PCM relay terminal 361 (R). Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: GO to «X2».

No: SERVICE open Circuit 361 (R). RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

X2 CHECK IPR COIL RESISTANCE

Measure resistance of IPR coil. Is resistance 5 to 20 ohms?

Yes: GO to «X3».

No: REPLACE IPR. RERUN test.

X3 IPR CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO POWER OR GROUND

Install breakout box. Leave the PCM disconnected. Leave IPR disconnected. Key off. Measure resistance from Test Pin 83 to power at Test Pins 71 and 97.
Measure resistance from Test Pin 83 to ground at Test Pins 25, 51, 76, 77 and 103.

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes: GO to «X4».

No: REPAIR short in Circuit 552 (Y/R). RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

X4 IPR HARNESS CONTROL CIRCUIT -- CONTINUITY

Install breakout box. Leave the PCM disconnected. Measure continuity from PCM Pin 83 to Point B in the IPR regulator harness connector. Is there continuity?

Yes: REPLACE PCM. RETEST.

No: SERVICE open Circuit 552 (Y/R). RERUN test.
At this point if you got all the way to the end and it says replace PCM, since you are not getting the P1283 code I would probably hold off replacing the PCM. These are just so you can rule faulty wiring out. Hope this helps, Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok well i dont have access to a scanner, but the cel isnt on. i changed the oil and the old oil seemed pretty crappy so maybe that will help. when it was running it would sometimes kinda miss while it was idling, not always but sometimes, and it would stall after cold starts also and a couple times while driving it would sputter and buck and almost stall but then would smooth out and drive normal.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
You don't need a scanner to do the checks, just a DVOM. It will at least rule out wiring issues with the IPR. Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok thanks, ill try that stuff when i get the chance, were just hoping its not the hpop itself

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we think the hpop has bad seals, but ive read it could also be the lpop. is theyre anyway of checking? if the lpop is worn will it lose prime and allow the hpop res to drain?? i need to get a gauge so i can check the pressure i guess what is the pressure supposed to be from the lube pump?

·
Registered
300 Posts
My money is on "crap in the IPR".... I don't know the pressures for the Lpop but the most likely failure here is going to be the IPR. Has anyone tried unplugging the ICP sensor for a default setting?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts