Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried to check the screen between the regulator and the bowl. It’s easy to overlook when making repairs, but at the same time I would think you would have at least a little bit of flow. Have you determined whether or not your pump is pumping? Have you double checked to make sure everything is hooked up properly. Although it’s kind of hard to hook it up wrong

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
First time I did mine, the regulator died on reinstall. It allowed fuel to pass completely and would not build pressure. If you took the regulator down to its base parts, I suspect your issue will be there. You can confirm that by seeing if you have fuel flow. If the fuel bowl filled up on its own, then you do have flow. If not, pull a line and stick it in a bottle to see if it fills it up. If you are getting flow but no pressure, it most likely is the regulator. Also, this is kinda dumb, but it happened to me a month or two ago. Had a buddy with a truck that would not start. Tried to diagnose it and found he wasn't getting fuel pressure. Turned out that he ran the truck out of fuel...
Today I got out and went ahead and removed the regulator and started taking it back apart to check things. What should I be looking for here? I honestly have no clue how this things works. All the pieces are there and seated correctly it would seem. Also on the fuel pump, I would assume the hose on the left is the one I should unhook to check flow right? I have no clue where the right one goes, it runs alongside the one that fits into the o ring on the bottom of the regulator and it disappears somewhere under the alternator. Is that a return?

I'm still inclined to believe it's something I did wrong because this was a running, driving truck before I took it apart. I'm at a loss for what I did wrong, this is a pretty simple job compared to rebuilding a quadra jet. I'm flying blind here though, my book doesnt have the 7.3 in it (great book) and I cant find any published info online about this other than the pdf instructions on www.dieselorings.com and also this write-up here 7.3L Power Stroke Fuel Filter Housing Rebuild Procedures

Neither of those go into any detail on how this system operates.

Just a wild guess I'm throwing in here, that filter cap looks odd. Has it ran previously with that same cap and filter combo?

I once received an off brand filter, don't remember what brand, that didn't have the little nipple inside, and wouldn't open the valve in the stand pipe. It was a defect, just one of those things.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Yes, everything is the same. I didn't even change the fuel filter because it was still fairly new and clean from when I changed it last year. I dont put a lot of miles on the truck.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm more leaning, towards regulator, something to try, put a hose on the Schrader valve and see if it will fill a gallon container, could be a piece of trash in the pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Alright. When I get the chance to reassemble and reinstall the FPR, if she still wont start I'll try that and report back.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Did some thinking, head scratching, and so forth on the matter. I have a couple questions about the FPR rebuild. Assuming you have flow, but no pressure.........

Did you re install the check ball behind the plastic orifice? ( I believe the instructions you posted call it a bleed orifice).

Second, I see the instructions are not real clear, how did you assemble the pressure relief valve? If memory serves me, the plunger goes in the hole first, then the spring, then the brass cap.

First three minutes of that video for my second question. The videos is on the BB mod, so disregard when you see him drop the BB in the hole of the plunger before putting the spring in.

Kinda hard to diagnose not having hands on, but we're a trying to help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Alright so finished looking over the FPR and everything still looks correct. I reinstalled it on the truck and I have fuel 15 psi of fuel pressure. I had to wiggle the tire pressure gauge on the Schrader valve to get it to read so I'm now unsure of whether or not I had fuel pressure all along. I dont think I did the first time because when the valve was depressed it would dribble out, now it spurts out like it has pressure.

Problem is, she still wont start.

I verified for 100% certain that I have fuel flow, I watched the fuel bowl fill up with the cap off of it while I bypassed the starter relay. I did notice when I was reinstalling the FPR that something was unplugged on what I believe is the HPOP.

I dont remember unplugging whatever this is and unfortunately I dont see the male end anywhere on the wiring harnesses that are nearby. I've got the batteries on charge and I'll try again tomorrow, it seemed like it really wanted to fire but just wouldnt.

I appreciate all the help, I'm hoping patience will prevail and let us figure this thing out. I'm trying hard not to just give in and have it towed to a mechanic. I've only sent a vehicle to someone else for work 1 time in my life and it was for a tranny rebuild. I gotta say though, this one has me puzzled.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
The fuel flow goes from the tank to the pump to the filter then back to the pump on the low pressure side. The pump then pressurizes the fuel and sends it to the injectors, the return then goes to the FPR then back to the tank.

So the pressure that you are seeing at the FPR is after the injectors. You may have a pump problem on the high pressure fuel side if all you are seeing is 15 psi, it should be 20 psi +

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's useful info. Earlier I was wondering if 15 psi is accurate since I was having trouble getting the tire pressure gauge to read. Does anyone have a good screw on fuel pressure gauge they could recommend?

·
Registered
5,575 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Usually the standard fuel pressure test kit at any auto store will work. Auto zone and O'Riellys usually have one in their lone a tool program. Sometimes, you have to obtain a 90* adapter, I've done it without.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Alright so finished looking over the FPR and everything still looks correct. I reinstalled it on the truck and I have fuel 15 psi of fuel pressure. I had to wiggle the tire pressure gauge on the Schrader valve to get it to read so I'm now unsure of whether or not I had fuel pressure all along. I dont think I did the first time because when the valve was depressed it would dribble out, now it spurts out like it has pressure.

Problem is, she still wont start.

I verified for 100% certain that I have fuel flow, I watched the fuel bowl fill up with the cap off of it while I bypassed the starter relay. I did notice when I was reinstalling the FPR that something was unplugged on what I believe is the HPOP.

View attachment 201029 View attachment 201030
I dont remember unplugging whatever this is and unfortunately I dont see the male end anywhere on the wiring harnesses that are nearby. I've got the batteries on charge and I'll try again tomorrow, it seemed like it really wanted to fire but just wouldnt.

I appreciate all the help, I'm hoping patience will prevail and let us figure this thing out. I'm trying hard not to just give in and have it towed to a mechanic. I've only sent a vehicle to someone else for work 1 time in my life and it was for a tranny rebuild. I gotta say though, this one has me puzzled.
The thing that is unplugged looks like the IPR. The truck won't run without the IPR plugged in. Google around for some images of what it is supposed to look like, maybe you can verify. Should have I wire bail to hold the plug on, my guess is the male end is laying in the valley under the fuel bowl, cleverly disguising itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The thing that is unplugged looks like the IPR. The truck won't run without the IPR plugged in. Google around for some images of what it is supposed to look like, maybe you can verify. Should have I wire bail to hold the plug on, my guess is the male end is laying in the valley under the fuel bowl, cleverly disguising itself.

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner! She started and ran! I'm glad you mentioned the bail wire because that was the winning clue. I had the wire staring me in the face the whole time and swore it was the for the fuel bowl heater element.

Only problem is, I was checking for leaks and noticed I still have one. So I started searching as well as I could and it seems to be coming from the body of the fuel pump.

I'd be kinda mad that I seemed to have fixed something that wasnt actually broken, but frankly all the hoses and o rings were dry-rotted so I'm still gonna say this was a win. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Glad you were successful! 7.3 fuel bowls eventually leak. It's as much a fact of life as death and taxes. So, you won.

Good luck with your pump, hopefully you don't drop the link in the oil pan when you pull it, thats one of my worries every time.

I suspect that if you re check your fuel pressure with the new pump, that you gain a few pounds. If possible, get a Motorcraft.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts