Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy down the road own's the truck. Lopes on start with the engine warm or cold.

It will continue to lope until you step on the throttle and bring the RPM's up for a second. Then it runs like a champ and does not lope at all as long as it stays running. Shut if off and immediately start it back up and it starts loping again.

Ran all the tests I could with AE, and CCT aborts almost immediately and pops a P0196. EOT sensor code.

However, EOT is registering. I sat and watched the oil temp come up while the truck ran.

ICP and IPR are all over the place.

ICP sensor looks great, as clean as a guy could want. And the truck lopes with the sensor plugged in or unplugged.

I have a spare IPR, and woulda tried swappin it, but I've been told you have to pull the OBS fuel bowl to remove the IPR. A quick look in the valley and I wasn't sure about that, but I didn't wanna experiment on somebody else's truck.

So, here's a data log, doesn't show anything I haven't told, but maybe somebody smarter will see something in the values. Or tell me what else I should be lookin for.

Truck has 270k on stock injectors, HPOP, and IPR. They've never been out. Truck get's new oil and filter every 5k, and all new filters everywhere else every 10k.

It's also the most beautiful OBS I've ever seen. Rivals TomS's truck. The 60ish yo man that own's it is the original owner. It has been religiously maintained, and he has a complete record of everything that has EVER been done to it. Including 270,000 miles of refilling the fuel tank, how much it took, the miles on the truck when he filled it, etc.

I'm leaning toward an IPR issue, but the EOT sensor code is makin me wonder. I'm not sure if that would cause a lope that goes away and doesn't return once you bring the RPM's up and let it return to idle.

If my spare IPR don't fix it then I'm lookin for an injector right? Seein as they could probably use a freshening by now, it would also seem logical they're causing the lope.

BUT, it lopes with a warm engine. Even an immediately restarted engine.

Attachments

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I would say that either the IPR is dirty internally or has bad o-rings or he has bad injector o-rings. Is it hard starting when warm and is there a darker than normal color to the fuel in the bowl? Also has he had the CPS recall done?

·
fastfish1967
56 Posts
My 97 was doing exactly the same thing a couple months ago. I posted the problem on this forum and recieved some very good info and ideas as to what the problem might be. I usually only use the front fuel tank and was selected to the front during all these problems. I got low on fuel in the front tank so selected the rear tank. I have not had a problem since selecting the rear tank. My guess is that somehow air was getting into the fuel system via the front tank or maybe the selector valve. Truck runs perfect hot or cold now. I still have not had the truck checked with an AE or anything else but still plan to when I get the time. Maybe this info will help!

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem goes away as soon as you bring the RPM's up a little and hold 'em there a second or two. Then let off and it runs like a champ.

Sticky IPR sounds good to me. Kinda what I've been thinkin. It's just a pain to swap on an OBS without somebody backin up that line of thought for me. Especially with that EOT code.

I don't think it's air in the fuel, but that's a thought for sure. Could clean out and re-prime with some RPM's helping move fuel. But it doesn't start loping again when you drop it back to idle. It idled with me standing there for 30 minutes or so, and didn't start loping again until we shut if off and immediately restarted.

·
fastfish1967
56 Posts
The loping in my 97 would also go away just by giving it a little peddle and letting it go back to idle. It ran fine until I shut it off and cranked it back up and it would immediately go back to loping. It didn't matter if the engine was cold or if it had been running for hours. I am going to switch back to the front tank tomorrow and see if the loping comes back. If it does then I will switch back to the rear tank and see if it goes away like before. I will post the results.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
my truck would do that occasionally,i changed my injectors and truck idles perfect ever since.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The loping in my 97 would also go away just by giving it a little peddle and letting it go back to idle. It ran fine until I shut it off and cranked it back up and it would immediately go back to loping. It didn't matter if the engine was cold or if it had been running for hours. I am going to switch back to the front tank tomorrow and see if the loping comes back. If it does then I will switch back to the rear tank and see if it goes away like before. I will post the results.
You have my attention then.

Let me know what you find.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not the IPR.

Somebody tell me about the check ball in the HPOP.

I'm leaning away from injectors, this is a little to radical IMHO to be injectors.

·
Registered
320 Posts
now i dont know the cure but i would like ot know if it is the sam exact problem i have..... when the truck is lopeing put it in neutral and see if it stops. by mistake one time i went into neutral and not drive and the truck stoped lopen. so ever since when it lopes i just put it into neutral then drive. im also hopen i have an easy less expensive fix also compared to injectors (even though i want some stage 1's)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Search on here for "the Romps" or "California Cackle"... I have had the same problem and not able to narrow down much other than it is more prevalant on older oil.... A chain of thought is that the oil pressure at start up with older oil (shearing), gets the HPOP and IPR in a frenzy and they "chase" eachother and a quick tap of the throttle narrows all that stuff out..... change your oil and see if it goes away... worked (and contiues to be true for me) on mine.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truck has reportedly been doin it for the last 50k miles, new or old oil.

The neutral thing is weird.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Truck has reportedly been doin it for the last 50k miles, new or old oil.

The neutral thing is weird.
i thought the sane way. it is weird. but if i leave it in park she lope and lope and lope. put it in neutral goes away right away... iuno :shrug:

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the loping goes away when in neutral then you have a bad transmission range sensor it is on the side of the trans. this will make your truck romp cold or warm.

·
Harl
705 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
320 Posts
holy crap. thanks deff goin to try that out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
what other problems can that sensor cause? or just the ramping at idle?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts