Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

97 keeps leaking oil from lift pump

12K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  97F250HDXLT 
#1 ·
So I replaced my lift pump a few months ago because the original was leaking fuel. About a month ago after the temps dropped the truck started leaking oil from the valley. I went ahead and got rid of the ebp garbage and replaced the turbo orings thinking this is where it was coming from. Long story short it kept leaking. I cleaned the motor and found the oil to be coming from the lift pump. I found the pump bolts rattled loose so i replaced the lift pump oring and torqued it back down, only after scrubbing the valley spotless clean. Low and behold it is leaking out the back of the pump again.

Can the pump its self leak oil or is there something going on with the block/oring seal?

The pump was extremely hard to get out and put back in this time where the original just slid out and the new one went in easily upon initial installation. Should I be concerned with this?

thanks

#2 ·
I don't think I've ever seen a fuel pump leak oil, are you sure that's where the oil is coming from? Maybe try a new pump then.

#4 ·
I'm positive that it is coming from there. The valley is spotless clean except from the back of the lift pump into the dip in the valley where the oil keeps pooling.i get paid next week and will try another new pump. I'm just so sick of this garbage, I've had the turbo and fuel system out of the truck 4 times in the last month between chasing leaks and the up pipes.

Also, is gates barrier fuel line ok for diesel? The gates web site says it is safe for diesel but I've also heard of people usin fuel line and it just swells up and blows up.

Any thoughts? If I have to do this again for a 5th time I want to make sure I have the right hose to put back in.

#9 ·
Did the new o-ring solve the issue. I just installed a brand new OEM pump from diesel o rings and now I have an oil leak coming from under the pump.

I was told if CCV is clogged oil could push out through the vent on the pump??? Anyone here of this.

#15 ·
I can't thank you guys enough for this thread. I have had this problem for two years now. After reading everything and even posting my own threads asking for help I was beginning to think I was crazy... Because oil NEVER leaks from under the pump according to all of the forums. I too replaced my pump with a new pump and o-ring but the leak persisted so I figured it was something else. And I've replaced everything else that could possibly leak oil in the valley... I stumbled on this thread which is relatively new and here I found it: defective pump/o-ring from diesel orings (which is where I got mine). I'M NOT CRAZY! Thank you.

I may still go with an e-fuel setup to simplify the valley, because lately it seems like I spend more time in the valley of the engine than in the cab of the truck!

#16 · (Edited)
Yes’m E fuel is by far a better system. Not that expensive if you take your time and source parts yourself. I’ve used the stock 7.3 electric pump in fact was (it) used from wreckers bought 2 one as spare. Logged thousands of Kms on my truck never replaced it. 2nd one is a 6.0 pump assembly works great. For simplicity will be doing a 7.3 E fuel one again on my Tan truck in the next few months.

I use a twin filter system 1 pre pump usually 20 micron with water separator (Donaldson P558000) and Catapillar 3 micron after pump (R1-750) They are spin on steel canisters both have same thread and pitch are common and can be interchanged in a pinch.

j

#17 ·
I also had the exact same problem! I replaced everything in the valley only to instantly have an oil leak coming from where the fuel pump goes into the engine. After throughly searching only the only post I could find about oil leaking from the fuel pump was this one. After scrolling down and seeing everyone that had this issue ordered from dieselorings, I knew I had found my problem. I ordered my pump from dieselorings.com. I called dieselorings.com today and spoke with Jeff, I explained the problem and told him about this forum that there were several other people that have had problems with mechanical fuel pumps from dieselorings.com. Jeff said he never heard of that issue, and he sounded unwilling to help. Seems a little odd that everyone that is having this issue bought their pumps from the same website. I will do like everyone else and buy another pump from another source. And dieselorings won't be getting anymore of my money, I have been buying from them since 2011.

My truck is a 96 F350 7.3

#18 ·
The pump isn't the problem but the O ring seals. It won't matter where you get your pump from if you don't get a good O ring to seal it up.

Great first post by the way even if you have been on here for 6 years.

#21 ·
I considered replacing just the o rings but I hate messing with the stuff in the valley. So just did a whole new pump in hopes to not have to mess with it again. Especially cause so many people had problems with pumps from dieselorings. It makes me think they got a bad batch or something. Id hate to pull it out replace the o rings and then have to pull it out again. And the o-rings looked the same to the eye on both pumps. So idk, I'll post back and let y'all know how it works out.

#19 ·
No issues with my Diesel O-rings pump and oil leakage. Cheers!

#20 ·
Just got around to replacing the lift pump again. I got this one from my ford dealer, cause I wanted a different source in hopes this one would work and I wouldn't have to dig into the valley for maybe another 100k 🤞. The pump I got from ford does have some minor differences from the Carter pump i got from dieselorings. I have read before that they are all made by the same manufacturer, Carter. All the posts I found that said this seemed to be from around a decade ago. I wonder now if there isn't more than one manufacturer?

Attachments

#22 ·
The Fiesta & the GT are both made by Ford. But they're not made the same.

The point is: Carter can make 2 fuel pumps, and they can still be different. Even for the same application. Some aspects of fuel pump design are no longer proprietary, and can be copied by anyone. Other aspects are still protected, and can only be produced under license from the owner of the IP rights. So the pumps Carter produces for Ford (usually with the Ford logo) are built to Ford designs. But the knock-offs can't necessarily be exact copies, even though they may come from the same assembly line (retooled after a production run for Ford).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.