Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum and was looking for some help on frame rust. I live up in the rust belt and its starting to go through/crack near the rear spring shackle on the driver side. Passenger side is good and the rest of the driver side looks good too. Ive heard of some guys cutting and patching sections and others cutting the entire back half of a donor frame and welding it in. Guess i wouldn't know exactly what's going on until i strip everything down and see what's left. I thought about just biting the bullet and sending it out to a body shop/ fabrication shop if i could even find someone to take it on. I'll attach a couple of pictures id really rather fix it then get rid of it. Let me know what you guys think any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Just did this exact same thing on my 96. I removed the bed. junked it. Removed fuel tanks, lines, and harnesses. Had a dustless blaster guy come and blast the entire frame from the cab back. Had horrible holes, the spring hangers were less than paper thin, and the cross members were gone. I cut out the rust holes, the metal around it was still surprisingly good, and welded in new patches. replaced the cross members with 2" channel and 3" square on the rear. New spring hangers the chassis savered the entire frame. New rear tank and then a flatbed. It came out AWESOME! I couldn't believe how bad it was once it was blasted.... SCARY bad. I couldn't believe it didn't break in half towing a utility trailer, let alone my 11k boat/trailer that i tow EVERYWHERE. Glad that is over. I made a thread about it.

My endeavor starts on page 5 basically. I ended up doing it myself after a long and expensive ripoff from a dick that took my money and ran.

https://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/19-1994-1997-general-aftermarket/523161-great-flatbed-debate-5.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts