Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck Specs: 97 SC long bed F350 ,7.3 PSD E4OD, 200k all original.

Truck has a clunk when getting back into it after letting off gas. Can make not so noticeable by easing back onto gas like a grandma. I also have a jolt forward/backward when shifting from park to drive or drive to reverse.

I have done the following:
Regreased Slip joint.
Replaced worn out u joints.
Swaped spare LS rearend I had laying around into it that is considerably tighter of rearend compared to the amount of play had before with driveshaft while in neutral.(seemed to help a tad but not considerable)
New sway bar bushings and endlinks.
Flushed trans added new fluid and filter.
New shocks.

My next thought is either Internal trans, or transfer case? I know higher mileage e4od behind 7.3 not always the best combo, but never had od light blinking or funny hard shifting.
Or trans mounts? but glanced at them and didn't look tore or all beat up?
Otherwise runs drives great as long as don't let off and then get back on quickly
Any thoughts?

·
Hell Raiser
39 Posts
Transmission mounts, motor mounts and carrier bearing. Those are known symptoms for when those go bad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well hopefully as simple as that cause everything else I have already done I planned on doing regardless , gonna crawl underneath it tomorrow night and see if trans mount is the culprit, I wouldn't think it would be motor mounts cause doesn't clunk when rev it up at a stop. And it doesn't have a carrier bearing on the driveshaft and the rearend is quite tight so I wouldn't think itd be that either but time will tell.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
SC = SuperCab or SC = Single Cab? SuperCab (aka Extended cab) DOES have a carrier bearing. Single cab (aka Regular cab) does not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry bout that guys it is indeed a regular cab, I got my acronyms all sorts screwed up. But I did look around the truck lastnight and the trans bushing looks good, not all dry rotted or skanky looking but I'm gonna see if it seperates at all with upward pressure from a jack tonight.

·
Been there....... done it
183 Posts
what will it do with the tires in the air? If it only does it on the ground, you might consider spring bushings. If it still does it in the air, then you know it's drive train related

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is this a 2wd truck? If it is, check the radius arm bushings. Best to have a helper that can turn the wheels lock to lock (engine running to assist) while you're down below watching the bushings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts