Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Brian
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this truck is so pretty. I love driving my fords but this thing is lacking in the balls section. It struggles pulling trailer. I'm ready to drop a couple hundred in mods. The dp looks like a royal ich. But is needed. So going to do full exhaust. Then a big honky air cleaner. I just replaced the injector harness an glow plugs. But would it be a good idea to get a programmer an or shift kit. Or locker. Or am I looking to blow trans with programmer.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Well if you want power, you will need to have the transmission to hold it regardless... An exhaust and intake will gain you next to nothing in actual numbers. A chip will be where you will gain a very noticeable amount of power. Also be sure to have some gauges..

·
Brian
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will stock trans hold a chip

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Will stock trans hold a chip
easy for anybody to tell you yes but only you drive the truck and have a good idea of the current condition of the transmission. If it's in good solid WELL MAINTAINED shape, sure it should hold but if not, then it might not be happy with any upgrades...

·
Registered
246 Posts
well everyone running a jasper tranny has been lucky,they never held up for me i went through 4 in 2 years and gave up on them.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I keep my ts on 50 or 75 horse 90% of the time and my stock tranny seems to actually do alot better than before i got the chip. It was lazy and waited till over 3 grand to shift, now it shifts perfect.

·
Brian
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a plug in programmer that is good

·
Brian
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dp tuner get any improvements over stock

·
this $hit is expensive!
534 Posts
I ran basic TS tunes and it was still a whole different truck than stock. I dnt have much info on the tranny I always had a 5 speed. I would also add an intercooler to your list, IMO one of the best mods you can do for an obs. But def get your intake exhaust gauges and chip first and you should be happy for a while.

·
Brian
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thinkin when she blows she's getting 12v

·
this $hit is expensive!
534 Posts
Your looking at about 15k to correctly swap in a 12v and that's prob toward the cheap end. People who know diesels will give you a lot more credit on a built 7.3 then swapping in a 12v. My motor bit the dust on me a few months ago and I too considered the swap of the 12v but I didn't want to be part of the cummins community and also couldn't betray my good ol 7.3's. I currently have a 7.3 on the stand that when its all said and done should be right in 500hp range and that to me that is way cooler than following the crowd and just throwing a cummins in it. But to each their own its your truck go crazy lol

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
the problems with the 97 & older 7.3's... :

no injectors (small - 95 or theresbouts cc's) ... you want stage 1's
no Intercooler ( add big injectors, you gonna need one)
HPOP delivers less volume/pressure - get a bigger one...

do those three, and the normal exhaust/intake, and 6-position chip, and you'll wind up with probably 150 more power on the GROUND than you have now...it will feel like somebody switched engines on you in the middle of the night.....

with the mods in my signature, I went from pulling 20,000 lbs gross weight over the Grapevine - Siskyou's @ 30 mph, to 55 - 60 mph

you gonna love it.

·
Brian
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya that's what I thought it would need. I did a cummins into my 92 sd on the cheap. Lots of balls more then 460. I would like to keep this ps till I get my cummins f350 built at least. Looks like exhaust and intake. Then programmer. Then intercooler

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ya that's what I thought it would need. I did a cummins into my 92 sd on the cheap. Lots of balls more then 460. I would like to keep this ps till I get my cummins f350 built at least. Looks like exhaust and intake. Then programmer. Then intercooler
What year cummins did you put in your 1992?

·
Brian
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
89 I just got my parts back from being balanced for my 97 cummins that's going into 95 f350.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts