Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forums,i hope this is the right section for this post.

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade my truck to tow around 18-22k trailer weight reliably. The truck is bone stock with 225k miles E4OD and 4.10 on 285/75r16, end goal is to be a fun street truck on days off (if i take days off) and be able to haul heavy loads. will not be going above 6000 in elevation. Here is what I think might fit the bill. Hydra with custom, tunes injectors 180/30 full force or 200/30 swamp's, 66/76 KC turbo, 364.5 sxe t4 housings I was thinking either .87 or .91 I'm trying not to have to be too deep in the pocket so trying not to do an HPOP. I figure oil cross over and E-fuel kit is a good idea. As for the tranny I'm thinking of valve body and billet TC. This build is trying to keep low egt's, be fun while around town and tow 20k like its not there, while keeping decent MPG currently at 12 round town and 15 highway and 9-10 towing. I'm open to all options like smaller injectors and lower power if need be, and this prolly wont happen till later this summer. Thanks in advace

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
With the extra power and towing weight, I'd probably get a larger trans cooler and lines. I also don't think just a valvebody and TC are going to handle it, you'll probably need a fully-built trans. Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the extra power and towing weight, I'd probably get a larger trans cooler and lines. I also don't think just a valvebody and TC are going to handle it, you'll probably need a fully-built trans. Cheers!
so you think the build is good to the point it could do this daily without wearing out the engine too quickly? , I will definitely add a trans cooler I'm thinking a 37 row would be more than enough, and a fully built trans is not a bad idea. is there anything else I would need to look into as this might become a HotShot truck

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Since I don't have any real first-hand experience with the engine mods contemplated, I can't give a good opinion on them. I do know that once you start getting big power, you'll need more than a VB and TC. I will say that an oil crossover is probably not really needed and not sure if a factory HPOP will handle the injectors. Hopefully someone that really knows will chime in! Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I don't have any real first-hand experience with the engine mods contemplated, I can't give a good opinion on them. I do know that once you start getting big power, you'll need more than a VB and TC. I will say that an oil crossover is probably not really needed and not sure if a factory HPOP will handle the injectors. Hopefully someone that really knows will chime in! Cheers!
yeah, I misspoke about the tranny im going to have it built for 500 hp or more for durability. and with hybrid injectors, depending on the brand and what websites say I can run 20-250 100 over nozzles with no problem on stock HPOP. I hope some one with some experience or knowledge chimes in. I'm very open to different options that are tried and true

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I would recommend using 1023 Diesel's "plan your build" feature on their website... It will set you up for an appointment to talk to them about what your trying to do with your truck. Bigger is not always better.

Cj

And Welcome to PSN!

Reactions: 97OBS250hd

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I've always been under the assumption (based on others' postings) that 160's were about the limit for the stock HPOP. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Hybrids change the equation... Ideally with 160/0's or 160/30's you want a 99.5+ HPOP (17* versus 15* of the old HPOP). So with standard injectors the oil to fuel piston ratio is 7 to 1, but hybrids use a 5 to 1 oil to fuel ratio piston... you sacrifice higher pressure injection (~21k psi) for an injector that needs less oil to operate (hybrids max at ~15k psi injection pressure). This allows a stock HPOP to manage the hybrids better.

Cj

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, Cj!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
20k is a pretty stout load and to tow like it’s not there is a tall order for these old trucks. Your are speaking of 6.7 deleted and tuned performance (for comparison). You’re gonna need to retrofit an intercooler, plus all the gear you’ve noted above. Depending where you live and tow, I.e., mountainous terrain, above sea level, road alignment and ambient air temps, you might wanna check into water injection too.
Recommend
Gauges
E fuel
IC
DP and open Exhaust
6.0 fan
HPOP
Injectors (hybrids) if you go larger injectors like 238/xxx you’ll want head studs.
Hydra Chip with custom tunes.
KC or T4 set up with .84 A/R exhaust housing (mountains) .91 on flatter terrain lower elevation.
Built tranny like a BTS, with largest cooler (like a 6.0 retrofit)
Read up on the power peddle mod here.
Also I’d be looking retrofit a SD hydroboost for better braking.
Oil cross over might make it idle nicer, some engines you notice others not so much.
Cheers,
j

1 - 12 of 12 Posts