Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Yesterday I bought my 1st diesel truck with guidance from a member/friend of this site.

It's a 1997 F250 4x4 7.3 extended cab long bed with manual transfer case. The truck only has 73,000 miles on it.

During the test drive and running through all the checks, the major issue was the truck would not shift to neutral then to 4 low.

I tired everything I could think of. Truck was in park, and tired Neutral, foot on the brake, completely stopped, hubs locked, but nothing we tried allowed the transfer case to shift into neutral then into 4L.

It would shift between 2H and 4H all day and did not seem to have any issue there. The shift nob says "push down" next to 'N' but the lever did not go down (vertically). I read the owners manual and it say to go through N to 4L but the stick just did not do anything other than forward and back between 2H and 4H.

I am hoping that a vet on here could skool this newb and bail me out. I read another post that said they sprayed wd-40 on the linkages and that fixed the problem. I have not tired that yet.

Thank you for any help and advice!
Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sounds to me like the linkage under the truck is froze up. If it wasn't used in low range much its probably just stuck. Go under the truck and find the linkage, soak it with wd-40, pb blaster or some other penetrating lubricant. I had one that did the same thing. Once its freed up keep it well lubed. Good luck!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Like stated its most likely the linkage is froze. Not so much actual linkage as it is the assembly that moves when you push the shifter down.(dont know the technical name for it)

It's just from not being used. Previous owner probably never used 4l.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the posts! I will give it a try this weekend. I was going crazy getting the house ready for a super bowl party.

I found a CD on eBay for $30 which has the complete service guide. I also need to look at glow plugs from what my buddy tells me as she is Super tough to start in 30 degrees. Sounds/feels like a cylinder is not firing but after a couple seconds it starts and the engine smooths out.

Are there any good sites for dash/door parts?

Thanks again guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts