Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Native Texan
9,052 Posts
That truck has a manual pump under the y pipe just behind the fuel bowl. It could be it just lost prime and can be re-primed by filling up the fuel bowl. it may take a couple of fill ups as it will need to fill the heads up to. Or could be a rotten fuel hose there are 3 of them in the valley one from the pick up line to the pump the from top of pump to the fuel bowl and the from the bottom of the bowl to the hp side of the pump. or could be a bad pump. I would try to re-prime it and watch for leaks.

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure your batteries are hot. If they're weak, you're beating a dead horse. Make sure it's getting fuel. Like the fellow said, ck pressure at filter housing valve.Cycle the glows a couple times. Get it full n it should go unless there were issues when it was parked.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sorry dude I am late to your party....yeah I would have hit it with a little starting fluid while cranking, once it starts then hammer the throttle pedal to push the fuel in....dont let is die at this point. I have bought several trucks that would not start....usually dead batteries and out of fuel.

So Tom you are burning the high sulfur dyed fuel?

I also burn old fuel in my '96....as long as no floaters (algae) is in it should be good. My fuel comes from a buddy who works on air compressors...the big ones with their own trailers with diesel engines. When they do a rebuild all the fuel is pumped into a tote. we pick it up when full....we have about 600 gallons of it right now.

U got yourself a good looking pickup for a song. wash it, and a little more maintenance and it should all be good. You can still get the inside door handles from the Ford house.

Keep posting about what you do to it. Good Luck.

·
Administrator
8,420 Posts
Sorry dude I am late to your party....yeah I would have hit it with a little starting fluid while cranking, once it starts then hammer the throttle pedal to push the fuel in....dont let is die at this point. I have bought several trucks that would not start....usually dead batteries and out of fuel.

So Tom you are burning the high sulfur dyed fuel?

I also burn old fuel in my '96....as long as no floaters (algae) is in it should be good. My fuel comes from a buddy who works on air compressors...the big ones with their own trailers with diesel engines. When they do a rebuild all the fuel is pumped into a tote. we pick it up when full....we have about 600 gallons of it right now.

U got yourself a good looking pickup for a song. wash it, and a little more maintenance and it should all be good. You can still get the inside door handles from the Ford house.

Keep posting about what you do to it. Good Luck.

not dyed, it is regular high sulfur on road fuel,

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here’s a little update on my truck. I drove it all winter with no problems started using it to pull a gooseneck and the transmission finally went out what year E4OD transmissions will work in it? I’m looking for some now and I’m not sure what years will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hey! Your back!

If I were you I would do a little reading around in the transmission section, and possibly start a new thread in there. I think any E40D for a Powerstroke,( 2 wheel drive) from 94.5 to 97 will work, but definitely verify before spending money, as I may be missing something.

Did you get your low power issue figured out?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey! Your back!

If I were you I would do a little reading around in the transmission section, and possibly start a new thread in there. I think any E40D for a Powerstroke,( 2 wheel drive) from 94.5 to 97 will work, but definitely verify before spending money, as I may be missing something.

Did you get your low power issue figured out?

Yes I did! I’m not sure exactly what it was but the more I drove it the better it got. I put a ts6 chip in it and woke it right up I usually leave it on the 50hp selection and it does great!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I might be a dummy but what’s the secret on getting this bell housing bolt off by the down pipe? I’ve dropped transmissions in gas trucks before so I think I’ve got the basics covered. But just to check here’s what I’ve done so far.
Drive shaft out
Torque converter nuts off
Pan drained
Starter off
Waiting to remove the cross member
This transmission looks a lot heavier than the other ones I’ve pulled so I don’t want to be laying under there not knowing what the heck I’m doing. I can’t seem to figure out a way to get this bolt off without removing the down pipe. I can’t get a socket on it as it sits. Here’s a picture For reference.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The E4OD is one of the heaviest transmissions ever put on a light truck. Don't be under it when it comes loose.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Something else that might be handy info, observe the motor mounts before you take it apart, they slide forward and back inside themselves, kinda like too chain links with a rubber insulator. If you put it back together with one of those slid metal to metal you will think the whole truck is falling apart when you drive it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts