Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a new member I bought a 1997 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 for $800 it’s been sitting for 3 years without being started. I was there yesterday the truck is 45 minutes from me but I changed the oil put 2 new batteries in it and turned the key just to see if I can get it to move out if it’s grave. It didn’t start I know I should drain the old fuel out and put fresh fuel in. It started to rain pretty hard so I went home it’s raining today but will stop soon I want to know what I should do to get it to where I can drive it 45 mins home to work on it in my garage. Only progress I’ve made is air up the tires change the oil put new batteries in it sounds like it wants to start but it just won’t it just smokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
If its trying and smoking probably just needs some clean fuel. what's the temps there.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was 75 when I was messing with it yesterday today it’s only about 50 because of the rain Middle Tennessee

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
Well temp should have not played a part in not starting is ur wait to start light coming on is ur rpm gauge moving.

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
Check the Filter see if its getting fuel pump may not be pumping enough fuel to start the truck. use a tire gauge and check the fuel pressure while cranking should be above 50 to start.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank ya I was at Walmart today and bought a bunch of stuff for it I got some of that Lucas fuel injector stuff to put in it. What’s the easiest way to drain the tanks? I have a cheap siphon thing but couldn’t find a big one that actually works good.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thank ya I was at Walmart today and bought a bunch of stuff for it I got some of that Lucas fuel injector stuff to put in it. What’s the easiest way to drain the tanks? I have a cheap siphon thing but couldn’t find a big one that actually works good.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/performance-tools-multi-use-pump-w1145/7071094-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=7071094-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3PSF0bHd4QIViIjICh2shwluEAQYBSABEgLXe_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought one of these @ Harbor Freight and modified hoses. It is slow but pumped out 15 gallons of old fuel.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yea that’s the exact One I have I can’t get the darn thing to work

I have bought one before that the check valve was bad. Would not push or pull fuel.:frown:

You could go old school and Go garden hose and mouth to mouth. May be tough with diesel.:grin:

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
to be honest with you, three year old fuel should still be fine. i have 15 year old fuel i am running in my 2002 without any problems.
i have to agree with Mikey that you have low fuel pressure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after I drain and put fresh fuel in and it still won’t start I’m looking at a fuel pump issue?

·
Registered
761 Posts
to be honest with you, three year old fuel should still be fine. i have 15 year old fuel i am running in my 2002 without any problems.
i have to agree with Mikey that you have low fuel pressure.
Out of curiosity, where do you buy 15 year old fuel?

It is like wine or whiskey? A fine aged diesel.:grin:

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
I would worry about getting the fuel to the motor first. get it home and then worry bout the fuel if u need to.

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts

he don't he drank it 15 years ago and stores it in his belly. he's got another 500 gallon in there.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you have access to power, and the block heater is intact and safe to plug in, I'd say let her warm up a while.

When you changed the oil did you add any to the HPOP reservoir? I've heard they can leak off during long periods of sitting, though I haven't experienced it for myself.

Any idea why it was parked? Any history of hard starts or anything that you know of?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts

you don't buy it. you get it given to you from tanks on the farm because the farmer is scared to put it in his new $150,000 tractor with all the fancy emissions crap on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have access to power, and the block heater is intact and safe to plug in, I'd say let her warm up a while.

When you changed the oil did you add any to the HPOP reservoir? I've heard they can leak off during long periods of sitting, though I haven't experienced it for myself.

Any idea why it was parked? Any history of hard starts or anything that you know of?

I own a lawn and landscape company I mow for a guy that owns a successful construction company and he said he bought it new in 96 and he drove it for a few years and when his son started working in the company he drove it for a while then it turned into a shop truck and ran back and forth to town. The A/C went out and the door handles on the inside broke so the trucks been sitting since. He’s got several newer truck that they use and the one I bought is just in the back and out of the way so I decided I wanted to put it back to work. That’s basically the story haha

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I own a lawn and landscape company I mow for a guy that owns a successful construction company and he said he bought it new in 96 and he drove it for a few years and when his son started working in the company he drove it for a while then it turned into a shop truck and ran back and forth to town. The A/C went out and the door handles on the inside broke so the trucks been sitting since. He’s got several newer truck that they use and the one I bought is just in the back and out of the way so I decided I wanted to put it back to work. That’s basically the story haha

Sweet!! I'm happy to see it getting saved!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts