Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 7.3 is on its last leg, to much blowby. I am buying a 01 7.3 with only 72k miles that needs two pistons because of bad injectors. What all interchanges or need to know items? IE injectors, hpop, fuel system, turbo? Also things I should replace while I have it out? Thanks, Trevor

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Have you actually diagnosed your motor or just thinking it has too much blowby?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya its dust. Took it the dealership and that was there diagnosis. I have video of the blowby I posted on youtube.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Did they check compression?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Doesn't look too horrible. Is it lacking power or consuming oil?

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Since you are going to have to rebuild the 01 why not just rebuild the 97.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Mow many miles are on YOUR engine. My 99 has almost 300 on it and it runs like a raped date, and has the same amount of blow by, maybe a touch less

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
at the very least you will have to do an electric fuel system since the cam does not have the lobe on it to run the mechanical fuel pump.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've seen MUCH worse, drive it! Unless you just want to spend money! Timing covers are also different between the two iirc, so if you don't have all the accessories from the 01 you'll have to change that also.

·
Simple is best
281 Posts
The 01 I believe has split-shot injectors as well, vs your single shots. Being an 01, you also run the risk of the rods not being forged like the ones in your 97. After 2000, Ford used both forged and powdered rods. If I was building one, I'd build the 97.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts