Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Im new to this site and have found lots of great info. I recently swapped a trans out of a 97' 7.3 into my 95. The Line pressures were all over the place and was throwing shift range and speed sensor code. Was a good solid trans in the 97. Took it into the tranny shop and they said they arent interchangeable from 97-95 because the 95 is a stand alone and that it flat out wont work. Is there anything I can possibly change to make this work in my 95? Its a very solid built transmission and I would like to use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
Took it into the tranny shop and they said they arent interchangeable from 97-95 because the 95 is a stand alone and that it flat out wont work.
They're wrong. They are the same transmission, but some of the electronics are different. But the electronics can be swapped.

As mentioned you need the TRS from the '95. If that doesn't fix it you'll also need to swap the solenoid bodies, or check the wiring. There may have been a wiring pinout change at the solenoid body. There was one somewhere around that timeframe, but that's been more than 20 years and I don't remember exactly when it happened.

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
Ok so this thread seems to be dead but fit my project. So I'm going steal it for now.

Ok so got my trans all back together and took it for a drive this afternoon. All went well till it went to shift into 4thand trans seem to neutral out. I am using a stand alone controller which gave no errors with the electronics. Been staring at a fluid chart for 4th and 3rd but I'm at a lose. I was fighting a 2-3 shift problem which seems solved but now I'm stuck at 3-4 shift problem could a stuck valve cause it to neutral or should I be looking deeper. all air checks passed when reassembling trans. Any help would be appreciated before I find a cliff to drive this off of.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
If a shift valve were stuck it would just stay in third gear. The controller is probably doing something it shouldn't be doing. What solenoids are turned on when it should be in fourth gear? The state for fourth gear is both shift solenoids are off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It likely is something with the controller, but if you determine the solenoids are being commanded all off for 4th, then I would suspect the 3-4 accumulator regulator valve is stuck, those little valves love to hang up, transgo and sonnax make steel replacement valves for that reason.

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
If a shift valve were stuck it would just stay in third gear. The controller is probably doing something it shouldn't be doing. What solenoids are turned on when it should be in fourth gear? The state for fourth gear is both shift solenoids are off.
Will check next time I have a chance.
It likely is something with the controller, but if you determine the solenoids are being commanded all off for 4th, then I would suspect the 3-4 accumulator regulator valve is stuck, those little valves love to hang up, transgo and sonnax make steel replacement valves for that reason.
well accumulator valve body is a new one from diesel site. So they rebuild and test them in house I believe.

This is the first time in 3 years it has made it to 3rd gear. First time had a center support failure that took out forward clutch. last time it was a problem with the coast clutch drum. And 2-3 shift valve. replaced the 2-3 valve with a steel replacement. So fixed the no 2-3 shift just have to figure out this 3-4 shift hopefully with out pulling trans again. I'm getting way to good at it.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.?

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you monitor the solenoid commands and it commands them off, then just pull the pan and accumulator body and check it, I don't know if they use steel regulator valves in their bodies or not, but from past experience those stock regulator valves are finicky, if I remember right you're also supposed to torque the body to only 70in lbs, but I usually torque mine same as the valvebody, at 90in lbs, and don't have any trouble with them hanging.

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
well got it in the shop and jacked up the back end and used the controller to manually shift it and 4th engages firm but it takes a second to shift but when it does it feels normal.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And @Turd-250 will be blamed for.

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
well took it down the road and it does shift into 4th once it does I can go all day long. talked to the controller guys and will try changing couple setting tonight and then go from there.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And @Turd-250 will be blamed for.

·
PSN intsigator
6,694 Posts
Come on easy fix.

Sent from my Samsung Note 5 while waiting for @masakimm's phone to catch fire, which @Turd-250 will probably be blamed for?

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
So after talking to both controller and valve body suppliers we are in agreement that it is most likely a sticking solenoid so have a new pack on the way. I did take it on a 30 mile round trip will differently have to adjust shift points for my driving style. But it was good to drive her again. trans temps were great never got above 163 degrees.

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
Well Got to drive it finally today and with new solenoid pack it still has a pause before the 3-4 upshift. So I am at a lose as to what could be causing a delay in the 3-4 upshift. there was no sign of slipping when I pulled the pan. so possibly a 3-4 shift valve problem? or the accumulator sticking I'm just not sure.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And @Turd-250 "WILL" be blamed for. If My internet will stay up for @heavydoc to see my pics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does it only pause on the first shift cycle ? in other words if you start the truck and head down the road, does it only pause the first time it goes to shift from 3rd to 4th ? and then on the next cycle it shifts without the pause and on every shift cycle afterwards ? or does it continue to have the pause each time it shifts up thru the gears ? no matter how long you drive it ?

·
Native Texan
9,049 Posts
Does it only pause on the first shift cycle ? in other words if you start the truck and head down the road, does it only pause the first time it goes to shift from 3rd to 4th ? and then on the next cycle it shifts without the pause and on every shift cycle afterwards ? or does it continue to have the pause each time it shifts up thru the gears ? no matter how long you drive it ?
Its the same every time it shifts. I have not driven but about 40 miles so far and so only had to go thru the 3-4 shifts a few times. But as I said when I dropped the fluid the magnets were clean and the fluid was crystal clear so I don't think its a slip. when it does shift it feels just like all the other upshifts.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And @Turd-250 "WILL" be blamed for. If My internet will stay up for @heavydoc to see my pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts